Next Thread
Print Thread
#1513108 02/27/06 12:34 AM
M
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
M
I was getting water in my trunk... I'd test by pouring a bunch of water on the backwindshield and around the trunk gooves and it looked like some was coming through the brake light housing so I resealed them and it looked like it worked.

However, the next rain we had, my trunk was pretty wet.

So I tested again and could not for the life of me see any leaks at all. I even had someone get in the trunk, closed it, drenched the car, and they couldn't see any water coming in.

The water is coming in when the car is parkerd, so I do not think it is a problem of it getting in through the bottom so much...

Any idea on where else to look or what other tests I could do?

'98 Silver Mystake 2.0 133k miles.
#1513109 02/27/06 12:59 AM
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by mynewmystique:
...Any idea on where else to look or what other tests I could do?

Same as before, have someone in the truck with a flashlight or have the backseat down if yours has that option. Use a garden hose and put it on spray and spray up and let it fall on the entire rear (top of windshield, trunk, rear fenders, bumper, etc.). If nothing happens, put it on regular flow and shoot it up and let it fall on the same areas again.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
#1513110 02/27/06 01:03 AM
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Mine was leaking through an air vent behind the passenger side lining. I used some "Great Stuff" to seal it up. It hasn't leaked since.

2002 Nissan Maxima SE Former 2000 SVT Contour owner
#1513111 02/27/06 04:44 AM
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
I think you have a leaky reflector/license plate assembly, both my Mystiques had that problem until spending an afternoon regasketing with foam tape and Strip-calk, sold at body supply shops or Advance Auto parts. The clue is the back up lights will have rust on the metal contacts, and the bulb socket may need to be cleaned and silicone greased. Water will drip out of them when the trunk is open. You might have to open the access covers (mine were gone). It may work to silicone caulk the top edge of the reflector where it meets the metal, if you are good at caulking. Removing the lens is a pain but the best way to fix it, I can provide a procedure if you need it.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard