Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
All the hardware is grade 10, the spacers are non-ferrous stainless steel, the front adapter bracket is 1/2" & the rear is 3/8� - both high carbon plate steel.

Yes i did read the post actually about 3 times. Just kind of wondering why you made brackets and still needed spacers?

I wasn't attacking you or Warmonger..not really sure why he jumped off the deep end? I was just wondering why you would risk your brakes with spacers/washers. Just thought you guys would machine a bracket to eliminate the spacers. Sorry I ruffled your feathers again

06 GMC Sierra 2500HD Dmax/ally 06 Pontiac G6 GT 05 CRF250R FOR SALE 06 KX65 with riding gear $2700 obo
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by morbid:
I don't think the few people trying to intervene are anywhere near the amount of people who are looking forward to your kit. Please don't get discouraged by them.

x1

Serious buyer here as well...

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Tom, Demon, you both deserve accolades about this project, on top of CEG lifetime achievement awards you should have along with Stazi.

Will it help if I send a nominal deposit to you or Stazi?

MSDS, SHO-shop Y, custom 2.5" catback; xcal2; 63mm TB, K&N 3530; Koni struts, Aussie bar; THaines forks, Quaife, SpecII, UR fly; DMD; Nima UD pullies; Stazi brakes; f&r Pole120 mounts. Just a daily commuter car. Silver '98 SVT E0 #3159
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by Mod-Deth:
Originally posted by morbid:
I don't think the few people trying to intervene are anywhere near the amount of people who are looking forward to your kit. Please don't get discouraged by them.

Serious buyer here as well...

Mostly interested in the rear config.

Then: 99 Silver Frost SVT #1919 237hp/219tq All Motor Now: 06 White STI Parts 4 sale
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
If you are interested in the kit and have questions post here. If you just want to judge the kit or say you could do better, save your complaints for when you have the kit in hands.

Originally posted by Who the F are You?:
does your family tree not have any branches on it?

99SVT 235hp @ 6550rpm 212tq @ 5350rpm
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
Originally posted by RandyCSVT:
If you just want to judge the kit or say you could do better, save your complaints for when you have your kit in hands.

Fixed!

Tom has spent a lot of time and money on this project. If someone thinks that they can do better go ahead and show us. Having another avenue to look into for parts is always welcome. The amount of people that can and actually will pull off something like this, or another major change to the car, are very few and far between. The others are talk, constructive critisim is one thing, badmouthing someone elses work saying it can be done cheaper/better/faster/whatever and then not producing an example, is another.

Tom and Stazi are among the small handful of people who I would actually trust with something like this.

· Jon Miconi · Coming Soon! · 01 Cougar · 98 V70R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
I am very interested in the final product and I give a lot of credit to Warmonger and Demon (maybe others involved?) for putting in the effort to make this kit a reality. Im sure it took a lot more time to design, build and test that most people are acknowledging.

I do have one question about the kit, would there be a possibility of front brackets for those of us who aren't lucky enough to have SVT front brakes? I would like to do something soon with brakes on my car and I will likely end up getting this kit, if I can afford it, or upgrading to the SVT fronts, which are not always easy to find.

Again, you guys deserve lots of credit for putting in the time to make this a quality option for those looking to upgrade brakes.

1999 Mystique LS V6 Alpine CDA-9807, Rear deck sub, Opt. TB, K&N RU-3530/MAF adaptor, custom heatshield, FSVT 17's, SCT 4-program chip, Eibach's/ST200's, Hella Fogs...
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by warmonger:
I guarantee you that CNC charges are easily going to exceed the costs I have already incurred designing the current pieces. As far as "a few hours", sure. If they had all the pertinent measurements and the Datum point that I used to make all of them then they probably could. But those brackets will still cost you. I also considered a solid piece of metal. However, the weight of the bracket would then be twice what it is now and cost more, at least in the beginning.

You know what, I'm already irritated with a few of these posts.
Funny how people are jumping out the woodwork and can build these things all of a sudden. Where were these geniuses 2+ darn years ago when I first posed the question as to whether this could be done? Exactly. If someone else builds their own design and call it easy and cheap, then I'll listen to them then...maybe. Some people who had the skill were not interested in doing it. I got that and I have no problem with it.
Look at the post date on the sticky at the top of the brake forum.

Realistically, no one wanted to expend the effort, and they STILL don't want to expend the effort either. I did.
I didn't even need these front brakes and I went ahead and finished the design.
Now, I'm ready to just scrap it. I don't need the money if you are wondering, and I definitely DON'T need the headaches. This is why I THOUGHT Stazi might be willing to handle the kit side of things but I don't wish the nightmare on him either.
Besides, you can get bigger front brakes; the FSVT kit will only cost you a tad under $500.....for just the fronts.
I'm pretty frigging busy anyway.

I hope that I am not included in or the causeof this once again uncalled for all too common CEG hissy fit Now if you go back and read not once did I bash the design or claim to be able to do better, I haven't even seen pic's of it other then a few wheel pic's on Demon's car. In fact I complimented Tom for doing this and getting it to a kit. I only said I would like to do the same but wanted bigger rear rotors to match my 13" Baer front brakes. I commented on the pic posted of a TOTALLY DIFFERENT design NOT Tom's about the hardware and spacers used and Tom's comment about hardware grade based on the angle of the pic. Was it a bash on Tom absolutely not, if was just a simple question and nothing more as I stated in my post back to Tom. I also showed a pic of the Baer adapter for the Contour just as an example and that the Cobra calipers fit (something I had been messing with) and nothing more. You are correct that not many step up and do this sort of thing and true not many can but some of us can but just don't have the time. I truly commend you on your effort and time because I know it took a lot of each. But you guys need to read posts a little closer and stop being so defensive. As for what you are doingâ?¦Yes I am very familiar with various materials, hardware, bolt grades, machining, etc. as I have been working with this stuff in my job for the last 27 years as an engineering designer doing mechanical, electro-mechanical, and electronic design and fabrication at the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab. So yes I truly do know what you have been through in this design process. Can I design and build a kit as well...sure, can I do it better...don't know I haven't seen your design, will I do it...probably not but I might one day if I don't get rid of my car first. Like you said it takes a lot of time and I have a lot of other projects to keep me busy for a long time.

I'm probably old enough to be most of you guys father and I have modified and worked on cars most of my life and yet I have tremendous respect for the knowledge some of you have on this car and other related areas but every time I here these hissy fits it honestly makes me want to leave this site and not come back and sometimes even makes me want to sell my car

I'm not here to argue I am just here to learn and help out where I can and socialize some as well that's about it. Take what I have said however you like but if you go back and read the posts you will realize that you are wrong with your accusations at least the ones towards me. I think it should be pretty clear now but If I have been misunderstood then I apologize for not clarifying my post's enough to avoid unintentionally pissing people off.

Scott

Scott 2000 Contour SVT #1464 Mustang Dyno: 171.6hp/145.3lb Dynojet Dyno: 171.1hp/148.9lb 1989 20th Anniversary Turbo T/A "Indy 500 Pace Car" #1376 of 1550 All Original, 46k with a few mods 2002 F150 SuperCrew
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Yeah. I got pissy about it, and I'm not going to lie. What, I'm not entitled to my own emotions and reactions? Am I the ONLY one who's got to hide it? Heck, aren't you responding to my post and in your own way having a hissy fit? I don't think my being upset about something should have anything to do with you feeling like you have a place here. It shouldn't.
I read a series of posts I didn't like, that's all. There have been other things in the past that I built or did that I've had to defend almost weekly. If you hadn't followed those then you may not be aware.
However, when you have a history of building stuff or doing things a certain way with quite a bit of success and yet you are always defending yourself....well then maybe you'd be a bit testy too.
I didn't name you specifically, nor Thinkmoto and I'm not saying it is just this one post or just this one item. When I see a series of posts that are heading toward that general trend then I jumped to a conclusion and answered several questions in just one post. So it wasn't all you and don't think it was. And yes, I'm still a little irritated.
I didn't/don't know how old you are nor your background and therefore that had nothing to do with it. At least I didn't curse anyone out, use foul language, post links to funny pics, or ridicule anyone. If that is enough to piss you off enough to leave..... Sorry.

As far as the brakes go, I did the best I could within the constraints I identified as important.

Namely:

Kit Cost - Low
Availability of replacement parts - easily available
Outperform stock brakes - they do handily
Fit stock rims - they do so far

Brackets like the BAER ones are nice but won't fit as they require a greater change in rotor size just to fit, thereby requiring bigger rims and excluding stock rims. Also excludes the cheaper FSVT rotors. Oh, and by the way the OEM FSVT rotors are very good quality, coated and grooved. Worth the price I think.

As far as brake kits:
Lets give Stazi time to get some numbers together for kits. We'll go from there.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by warmonger:
As far as brake kits:
Lets give Stazi time to get some numbers together for kits. We'll go from there.

OK...

<==== (* Waiting patiently... Pours a scotch & water, & plays a Black Sheep Squadron DVD *)

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard