Originally posted by scottd60:
Originally posted by warmonger:
Oh yeah, I forgot to comment on the hardware.
I don't like how those appear to be standard grade hardware and spacers. IDK if that is a prototype but I used much higher grade materials.

Tom...congrats on getting the kit built and working, I'd like to do the same but want even larger rear rotors to go with my 13" Bear brakes

Also...how are you making that statment on the hardware from that pic ? Bolt Grade ratings can only be determined from the top/end of the bolt head not the sides

example:

Yes and no.
You're funny by the way, showing me what an SAE bolt hardness rating is.
Anyhow, you are right. I do not know for positive. On the other hand I looked at enough bolts during my years of experience and more recently during my hardware selection to realize how to identify what the higher metric grade bolts were commonly coated in. I learned that the various hardness bolts most of the time had different coloration that went along with the head style, and those look like grade 8.8 hardness bolts to me. Like JIS bolts and various flang-head bolts versus standard SAE and normal metric bolts all have different characteristics.
Those are plated the same and have the same head size (proportionately) as all the grade 8.8 bolts I saw. Now grade 8.8 has a high tensile strength, probably 85% or more of a 10.9 bolt, but they are not as hard. I went the extra mile to get bolts that were 10.9 and even 12.9 as well as with corrosion protection. The plate steel is not painted and is about the same type I'm using but much thinner, depending on the weight of the car maybe too thin.
For the contour I didn't take any chances since it is front heavy anyway.
The spacers he used are mild steel. I can see that from looking at them, and the nuts are standard plated.
The hardened nuts&bolts are plated in a different material and have a different color....or they are black....or they are stainless which is obvious to see.

Anyway, rest assured that these brakes are overbuilt to provide a high safety margin.
Also, I am not going to set final pricing; that is probably going to fall on Stazi. However, I can't imagine that the cost of all four wheels using this brake setup would be too different than just the cost of the FSVT kit.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black