GUDE=crap

Cheapest route= get a junkyard head, and find an auto machine shop that knows what they're doing. Pick up some oversized valves (they pop up on ebay pretty often or check focaljets sponsor sites), Crower springs and retainers, and some cams (also commonly on ebay or again check focaljet). Have the machince shop bebuild the head with your new components (plus valve guides, stem seals and valve seat machining) while they are in there they can/should do the following:

1) Open up the intake ports, but they should not be mirror smooth since a bit of turbulence here aids in complete charge burn (if you find a shop that does racing team work they may have thier own port finishing technique that usually envolves a sort of crosshatch pattern).

2) Unshroud the valves meaning remove any material that stick out into the combustion chamber past the valve faces.

3) mirror polish the combustion chambers. This ensures no hot spots and prevents the heat(energy) from soaking into the head.

4) open up the exhaust ports (mainly right behind the valves) mirror polishing the exhaust ports also help the same way it does the combustion chambers.

5)3 angle machining on the valves seats

NOTE: If you are going to coat the combustion chambers, intake, and exhast ports you can skimp a bit on the exact finish of all the surfaces.

Assuming you get decent deals on everything you're looking at about $1200-1400

My fully built FRPP head from Mcnews auto was 1800 including shipping to Hawaii!

Ohsigmachi '96 GL MTX Zetec --I don't won't to hurt you, but it's still on my list of things to do.-- View projectSlippery Slope