Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by mean'tour:
My camera battery died before I could get a photo of the little part I broke. It is a small gray tube located right behind the IAC.

Any ideas what this is? How do I repair/ replace it?

Here is a photo of the piece that I broke, sort of. It's bad, I know. But it will at least show where the borken part is...

What is it? Any ideas how to repair/ replace?

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by JSmith:
http://www.contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=17

http://www.contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=43

The EGR valve is held in with two bolts just like the IAC vavle. If you're going to do an in depth cleaning you'll need to take both of them off.

The cleaning is pretty straight forward. Get yourself some carb / choke cleaner. I like berrymans b12 chemtool , its the best stuff I've ever seen. When you take them off you'll see wether they need cleaning or not, it will be obvious.

The opening that the EGR valve goes into has passages that lead to behind the throttle body.

Wow, fun day. I had a lot of trouble finding the gaskets. The dealer I called nope, 2 Autozones, 1 Napa...

I took off the TPS, IAC, throttle body and loosened the EGR. Cleaned them all off, the only one that looked bad was the throttle body.

Also replaced the fuel filter.

I will experiment over the next few days with the unhooking a sensor and seeing what's not working...

Thanks for the suggestions.

Well, so far so good. Since finishing up the cleaning work on Saturday night, I have driven the car 3 times. Once on Sunday 25 minutes to church, then back. Then this morning 30 minutes to work.

No idle problems, no killing, no jerking... I'm afraid to jinx it but it seems to be better. The only things that I did that needed it was clean out the IAC (there was some black buildup in there) and the TB (some buildup there), pull all the electrical connections and make sure the contacts looked good and put some bulb grease in there, and replace the fuel filter.

I hope one of those was my problem. The problem was very intermittent at times... Felt like something dirty or not properly connected or on it's way out...

Thanks again!

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Maybe you've found the issue....sometimes it's the simple things that screw things up...

A1C Hodges, Christopher Active Duty USAF Sheppard AFB Texas;Westover ARB Chicopee, MA NECEG "Troll" formerly owned 2000 SVT Contour, with all kinds of goodies;)
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Let's hope!

#1512172 03/22/06 04:28 AM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E

The EGR valve is held in with two bolts just like the IAC vavle. If you're going to do an in depth cleaning you'll need to take both of them off.

The cleaning is pretty straight forward. Get yourself some carb / choke cleaner. I like berrymans b12 chemtool , its the best stuff I've ever seen. When you take them off you'll see wether they need cleaning or not, it will be obvious.

The opening that the EGR valve goes into has passages that lead to behind the throttle body.

Wow, fun day. I had a lot of trouble finding the gaskets. The dealer I called nope, 2 Autozones, 1 Napa...

I took off the TPS, IAC, throttle body and loosened the EGR. Cleaned them all off, the only one that looked bad was the throttle body.

Also replaced the fuel filter.

I will experiment over the next few days with the unhooking a sensor and seeing what's not working...

Well, so far so good. Since finishing up the cleaning work on Saturday night, I have driven the car 3 times. Once on Sunday 25 minutes to church, then back. Then this morning 30 minutes to work.

No idle problems, no killing, no jerking... I'm afraid to jinx it but it seems to be better. The only things that I did that needed it was clean out the IAC (there was some black buildup in there) and the TB (some buildup there), pull all the electrical connections and make sure the contacts looked good and put some bulb grease in there, and replace the fuel filter.

I hope one of those was my problem. The problem was very intermittent at times... Felt like something dirty or not properly connected or on it's way out...

Thanks again!

Allright, so no more dying or low idle. Now the throttle seems to be sticking. Again intermittent. I only noticed it today on the way home from work. Rolling to a stop, clutch in, engine should be revving down from 3000, instead goes up like I have the gas down...

I'm sure it's just a sensor... Or could the throttle actually be sticking? What might cause that? I just cleaned the TB over the weekend.

Thanks again.

#1512173 03/22/06 04:42 AM
G
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
G

if thats the vacuum hose your pointing to that connects to the brake booster, I have a brand new OEM ford one right here!

#1512174 03/22/06 02:11 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

if thats the vacuum hose your pointing to that connects to the brake booster, I have a brand new OEM ford one right here!

Goonz,

No it's not. It's a bad photo of a tiny little gray hose (like a 1/4 across). I don't know what it is.

I bought some wiring shrink wrap and will just take care of it that way. Because of the location, I just couldn't get in there to electrical tape it up...

#1512175 03/22/06 02:56 PM
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E

Thanks again!

Allright, so no more dying or low idle. Now the throttle seems to be sticking. Again intermittent. I only noticed it today on the way home from work. Rolling to a stop, clutch in, engine should be revving down from 3000, instead goes up like I have the gas down...

I'm sure it's just a sensor... Or could the throttle actually be sticking? What might cause that? I just cleaned the TB over the weekend.

Thanks again.

Any ideas?

The CEL came back on this morning (I had taken the neg. off the battery to clear the codes). I'll try to run at lunch and get the codes pulled.

#1512176 03/23/06 12:30 PM
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
have you fixed the vacuum hose?

I'm glad you're shrink wraping it, that will seal alot better and last longer than electrical tape.

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats the best they're going to feel all day - former President Lyndon B. Johnson
#1512177 03/23/06 02:49 PM
J
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
J
They also now have liquid electrical tape. Cool stuff just brush it on and let it dry. Comes in handy in tight spots.
Walmart has it in there wire terminal section. Glad to here you got that patched up.

JD a.k.a Fingers "Don't Panic" '98 Contour GL 2.0L VCT ATX 88k '98 Contour LX 2.5L MTX 120k Street racing can kill just less of a chance with a 2.0
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  baco99, frenchblueC2_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard