Originally posted by JSmith:
http://www.contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=17

http://www.contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=43

The EGR valve is held in with two bolts just like the IAC vavle. If you're going to do an in depth cleaning you'll need to take both of them off.

before you take them off you'll want to make sure you get new gaskets for them becasue the original gaskets might be torn when you take the valves off and might leak if you use them again.

Throttle body gasket F5DZ-9E936-AE ~US $1.95

EGR gasket E6AZ-9D476-B US $1.35

IAC gasket E83Z-9F670-A ~US <$1

The cleaning is pretty straight forward. Get yourself some carb / choke cleaner. I like berrymans b12 chemtool , its the best stuff I've ever seen. When you take them off you'll see wether they need cleaning or not, it will be obvious. Start by giving the areas that face inside the manifold a good spraying with the cleaner to remove any loose stuff. Then with a stiff tooth brush moistened with the cleaner scrub 'em. If you keep the dirty areas wet with cleaner and let them soak it will help loosen the tough baked on stuff before you go to scrub them.

The opening that the EGR valve goes into has passages that lead to behind the throttle body. You'll want to clean them out too. So you might want to take the throttle body off too.

Make sure you wear sefety goggles or glasses, if the mist comming from the brush gets in your eyes its going to burn like nothing you've ever felt before. If you can get some use dish washing gloves too because the cleaner really dries out your skin. If you want to use surgical rubber gloves they'll work too but latex(white) vinyl (clear) will get dissolved but the blue ones will hold up for a while.

Wow, fun day. I had a lot of trouble finding the gaskets. The dealer I called nope, 2 Autozones, 1 Napa...

I took off the TPS, IAC, throttle body and loosened the EGR. Cleaned them all off, the only one that looked bad was the throttle body.

Also replaced the fuel filter.

I will experiment over the next few days with the unhooking a sensor and seeing what's not working...

2 problems. I broke a small hollow gray tube behind the IAC. Anyone know what it's for? How to fix/ replace. Also the bottom bolt on the IAC broke in half as I was screwing it in. Nightmare. I guess I'll have to fix that one day.

Thanks for the suggestions.

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4