Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
Originally posted by mean'tour:
All right, that's what I'll do. Where's the EGR? Where are the mounting bolts for the IAC? I looked and it wasn't obvious.

In the picture that someone posted to show the IAC valve you can see the EGR in that picture too. The EGR vavle is right next to the IAC valve. The EGR is the one that is a little closer to the front of the car than the IAC and the EGR is going to be a little rusty with a flying saucer looking thing on top with a hose going into it.

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats the best they're going to feel all day - former President Lyndon B. Johnson
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by JSmith:
All right, that's what I'll do. Where's the EGR? Where are the mounting bolts for the IAC? I looked and it wasn't obvious.

In the picture that someone posted to show the IAC valve you can see the EGR in that picture too. The EGR vavle is right next to the IAC valve. The EGR is the one that is a little closer to the front of the car than the IAC and the EGR is going to be a little rusty with a flying saucer looking thing on top with a hose going into it.

Now that's the kind of instructions I need! Thanks.

How do I remove and clean it?

Thanks to everyone for all the help and suggestions! I'll keep this updated.

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
http://www.contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=17

http://www.contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=43

The EGR valve is held in with two bolts just like the IAC vavle. If you're going to do an in depth cleaning you'll need to take both of them off.

before you take them off you'll want to make sure you get new gaskets for them becasue the original gaskets might be torn when you take the valves off and might leak if you use them again.

Throttle body gasket F5DZ-9E936-AE ~US $1.95

EGR gasket E6AZ-9D476-B US $1.35

IAC gasket E83Z-9F670-A ~US <$1

The cleaning is pretty straight forward. Get yourself some carb / choke cleaner. I like berrymans b12 chemtool , its the best stuff I've ever seen. When you take them off you'll see wether they need cleaning or not, it will be obvious. Start by giving the areas that face inside the manifold a good spraying with the cleaner to remove any loose stuff. Then with a stiff tooth brush moistened with the cleaner scrub 'em. If you keep the dirty areas wet with cleaner and let them soak it will help loosen the tough baked on stuff before you go to scrub them.

The opening that the EGR valve goes into has passages that lead to behind the throttle body. You'll want to clean them out too. So you might want to take the throttle body off too.

Make sure you wear sefety goggles or glasses, if the mist comming from the brush gets in your eyes its going to burn like nothing you've ever felt before. If you can get some use dish washing gloves too because the cleaner really dries out your skin. If you want to use surgical rubber gloves they'll work too but latex(white) vinyl (clear) will get dissolved but the blue ones will hold up for a while.

I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, thats the best they're going to feel all day - former President Lyndon B. Johnson
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
J,
Wow THANKS! That's great info.

I have a can of Berryman's I was planning on using. Where can I get the gaskets? AZone (or somewhere) or will I need to go to Ford?

Thanks for the glasses reminder. I don't forget those anymore, since I got gas in my eyes changing out my fuel filter the 1st time...

I was planning on using rubber gloves, but the white latex won't hold up? OK, I'll get something else.

Thanks again! I guess I'll be disassembling and cleaning tomorrow...

mt

MUST SELL - ECM computer new for a 98 V6 mtx + pats Now trolling in a Red Nissan 4 x 4
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
J,
Wow THANKS! That's great info.

Where can I get the gaskets? AZone (or somewhere) or will I need to go to Ford?

Thanks again! I guess I'll be disassembling and cleaning tomorrow...

mt

Bump-- Anyone know where to get these gaskets? I leave work in about an hour and will need to get them on the way home...

F
Smurfette
Smurfette
F
I think those are Ford part numbers Jay posted. Try your local ford/lincoln/mercury dealership to see if they have them in stock.
Otherwise, you could probably try to hit up the local auto parts store.

edit: couldn't hurt to call around before leaving, instead of driving from place to place.

Last edited by frenchblueC2; 03/17/06 09:25 PM.

Kim 1995 Contour GL Needs less "needs more"
J
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
J
Originally posted by frenchblueC2:
I think those are Ford part numbers Jay posted. Try your local ford/lincoln/mercury dealership to see if they have them in stock.
Otherwise, you could probably try to hit up the local auto parts store.

edit: couldn't hurt to call around before leaving, instead of driving from place to place.

Yes, those are ford part numbers. If you go a big autoparts store chain like NAPA I think they might be able to cross reference the numbers.

E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
Originally posted by JSmith:
http://www.contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=17

http://www.contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=43

The EGR valve is held in with two bolts just like the IAC vavle. If you're going to do an in depth cleaning you'll need to take both of them off.

before you take them off you'll want to make sure you get new gaskets for them becasue the original gaskets might be torn when you take the valves off and might leak if you use them again.

Throttle body gasket F5DZ-9E936-AE ~US $1.95

EGR gasket E6AZ-9D476-B US $1.35

IAC gasket E83Z-9F670-A ~US <$1

The cleaning is pretty straight forward. Get yourself some carb / choke cleaner. I like berrymans b12 chemtool , its the best stuff I've ever seen. When you take them off you'll see wether they need cleaning or not, it will be obvious. Start by giving the areas that face inside the manifold a good spraying with the cleaner to remove any loose stuff. Then with a stiff tooth brush moistened with the cleaner scrub 'em. If you keep the dirty areas wet with cleaner and let them soak it will help loosen the tough baked on stuff before you go to scrub them.

The opening that the EGR valve goes into has passages that lead to behind the throttle body. You'll want to clean them out too. So you might want to take the throttle body off too.

Make sure you wear sefety goggles or glasses, if the mist comming from the brush gets in your eyes its going to burn like nothing you've ever felt before. If you can get some use dish washing gloves too because the cleaner really dries out your skin. If you want to use surgical rubber gloves they'll work too but latex(white) vinyl (clear) will get dissolved but the blue ones will hold up for a while.

Wow, fun day. I had a lot of trouble finding the gaskets. The dealer I called nope, 2 Autozones, 1 Napa...

I took off the TPS, IAC, throttle body and loosened the EGR. Cleaned them all off, the only one that looked bad was the throttle body.

Also replaced the fuel filter.

I will experiment over the next few days with the unhooking a sensor and seeing what's not working...

2 problems. I broke a small hollow gray tube behind the IAC. Anyone know what it's for? How to fix/ replace. Also the bottom bolt on the IAC broke in half as I was screwing it in. Nightmare. I guess I'll have to fix that one day.

Thanks for the suggestions.

E
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
My camera battery died before I could get a photo of the little part I broke. It is a small gray tube located right behind the IAC.

Any ideas what this is? How do I repair/ replace it?

W
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
W
Get a small peice of vacuum hose and just slip it over the broken peices...

A1C Hodges, Christopher Active Duty USAF Sheppard AFB Texas;Westover ARB Chicopee, MA NECEG "Troll" formerly owned 2000 SVT Contour, with all kinds of goodies;)
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  baco99, frenchblueC2_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard