Originally posted by mean'tour:
Originally posted by Cobra:
<b>I hope you're thinking of something else</b>, because the TPS is mounted on the throttle body. There's no need to remove the tranny to replace it. Should take under 2 minutes to replace. To check it mecahnically, remove it and check to see that the part that looks like a flat head screwdriver moves freely. I'm not sure how to tell if its fried electrically.

I hope so too! But those are the symptoms that I had, the random dying... The description my mechanic gave was that the computer couldn't read the engine speed or something, and got confused. Maybe it was the TSS? Tranmission Speed Sensor or something? It was several years ago. Whatever they did fixed it.

Any photos of this TPS? Is it a part you can just get at AZone? Or would I have to go to Ford?

Thanks! Is

Your car doesn't have TSS (Turbine Speed Sensor?) Only found on ATX.

Only thing I can think of is that they replaced the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor). Original design used a plastic pin on the sensor. Over time, the pin would sometimes break. Most cases, you unscrew it and use something to grab the pin out of the hole.

But other times the pin falls into the tranny and tranny needs to be removed.

The TPS is circled in red:

Tony 1998 SVT Contour (B/MB) #542 3L 1998 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1266 parts car 2000 SVT Contour (SF/MB) #1533 3L swap to begin!