Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
V
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
V
You know the story.

Personally, I actually agree with Bush on this. My primary reason for not being against the deal is because I don't see port security changing a bit. I don't believe for a second that a terrorist group couldn't currently smuggle in whatever they wanted to smuggle, so no change there. And I don't see the DPW firing existing workers in exchange for terrorist-friendly Middle Easterners

The only legitimate reason we would have to deny this deal is if DPW has had a mixed security record, or if we had some reason to suspect a large-scale change in personnel and/or security processes. Anything short of that is basically a knee-jerk reaction, which sends a pretty clear message to the moderate Muslims that we consider their whole region untrustworthy. While that may very well be the case, it would pretty much be an admission that we're no longer going to try to win hearts & minds over to our cause.

I know the UAE itself is a mixed bag, but like I said, unless they make wholesale changes through DPW, I don't see any real change.

I also have to say I'm intrigued by how many people are suddenly questioning Bush's attitude towards terrorism based on this situation. Why start questioning his resolve now?

E0 #36 '95 Ranger '82 Honda CX500
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Because it's politically expedient? Nah. That couldn't be it.

I also find it a little interesting that naysayers are clamoring for US intercession in the affairs of foreign interests here. The old port authority was a British company. The new port authority is UAE. I thought it was considered undesirable for the US to stick its nose in other nations' business.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Viss1:
You know the story.

Personally, I actually agree with Bush on this. My primary reason for not being against the deal is because I don't see port security changing a bit. I don't believe for a second that a terrorist group couldn't currently smuggle in whatever they wanted to smuggle, so no change there. And I don't see the DPW firing existing workers in exchange for terrorist-friendly Middle Easterners

The only legitimate reason we would have to deny this deal is if DPW has had a mixed security record, or if we had some reason to suspect a large-scale change in personnel and/or security processes. Anything short of that is basically a knee-jerk reaction, which sends a pretty clear message to the moderate Muslims that we consider their whole region untrustworthy. While that may very well be the case, it would pretty much be an admission that we're no longer going to try to win hearts & minds over to our cause.

I know the UAE itself is a mixed bag, but like I said, unless they make wholesale changes through DPW, I don't see any real change.

I also have to say I'm intrigued by how many people are suddenly questioning Bush's attitude towards terrorism based on this situation. Why start questioning his resolve now?

I have to agree with you...

Ryan Trollin!
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
The facts:
*2 of the 9/11 terrorists were from the UAI
*The money that funded 9/11 was laundered in the UAI
*The UAI have been the closest Arab ali of the US since 9/11
*The banking system in the UAI was reformed since 9/11
*The UAI allowed the US to establish an airbase since 9/11
*Almost 1/3 of US ports are run by foriegn corps/govts
*Nobody complained when Clinton allowed China to take over
management of certain US ports
*The larger Port companies, like the Dutch, did not want to
deal with the longshoreman's union

"Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by TexasRealtor:
The facts:
*2 of the 9/11 terrorists were from the UAE
*The money that funded 9/11 was laundered in the UAE
*The UAE have been the closest Arab ali of the US since 9/11
*The UAE allowed the US to establish an airbase since 9/11

And most importantly...GTOs RULE!

Fixed.

Ryan Trollin!
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
The facts:
*2 of the 9/11 terrorists were from the UAE
*The money that funded 9/11 was laundered in the UAE
*The UAE have been the closest Arab ali of the US since 9/11
*The UAE allowed the US to establish an airbase since 9/11

And most importantly...GTOs RULE!

Fixed.

R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
The facts:
*Almost 1/3 of US ports are run by foreign corps/govts

Two things, name another US port that's owned by a foreign government and the China deal had to do with the Panama canal(not a US port).

Whether you like the deal or not did this administration think this was going to just slide through? This administration may want to start with a smaller test for the UAE's loyalty before handing over a piece this large with so much at risk.

99 Contour Sport SE MTX KKM filter, B&M shifter No res, BAT kit Green car silver hood (because silver is faster)
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
First off, I don't have the exact fiscal figures for a contract of this magnitude, but it has to be enormous. And forgive me for "profiling", but if there's one thing that we've learned from the Iraqi reconstruction, it's that Arabs love business...the areas in Iraq that have had the least violence and the best successes have been the ones where there has been enough money and contracts to go around and keep people working. I predict that the Dubai Ports World officers will bend over backwards to keep our government happy and satisfied with the state of operations.

Second, I'm pretty positive that port security itself is actually contracted out to companies like my parent company, L3 Communications, and other major contractors. The Coast Guard and local law enforcement also are involved with port security. It's not as if we're just handing the keys to the ports over to Dubai Ports World and telling them "Lock up when you're finished, OK?"

The ports are not OWNED by a foreign government. Port operations are being administered by a state-run corporation. There are differences.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by RT and his SE:
The facts:
*Almost 1/3 of US ports are run by foreign corps/govts

Two things, name another US port that's owned by a foreign government and the China deal had to do with the Panama canal(not a US port).

Whether you like the deal or not did this administration think this was going to just slide through? This administration may want to start with a smaller test for the UAE's loyalty before handing over a piece this large with so much at risk.

I just put out the facts. I stand corrected about China. The Panama Canal is just an insignificant tributary.

R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by Jeb Hoge:

The ports are not OWNED by a foreign government. Port operations are being administered by a state-run corporation. There are differences.

Sounds like word play to me. Sooo who would be ultimately responsible for this "state run corporation"? A governmental body foreign to the United States? Oh I see the difference!

Quote:

Lawmakers from both parties have noted that some of the Sept. 11 hijackers used the United Arab Emirates as an operational and financial base. In addition, critics contend the UAE was an important transfer point for shipments of smuggled nuclear components sent to Iran, North Korea and Libya by a Pakistani scientist.

Security can't search every container that comes into port. They don't search a container unless it's one of the required randoms or they have reason to suspect something. I believe they all get scanned for radio activity. Container ship carry upwards of 10000 containers so paperwork is an important factor when it comes to identifying security risks. DP would have control of paperwork creation and verification at point of departure and point of entry in many cases and that's to many eggs in one basket for my liking.

99 Contour Sport SE MTX KKM filter, B&M shifter No res, BAT kit Green car silver hood (because silver is faster)
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard