Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#1509505 03/03/06 12:48 AM
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by Tourige:
have fun, thats all i gotta say, you shoulda done them when u did the 3.0 Ryan.

Heh I was saying that a couple weeks ago when I did mine. Although I would have paid three times as much back then so it was worth the wait. Oh and yeah, bring something comfy to lay down on, you'll be on it for hours and hours.......and hours.

It's not "hard" just time consumming, if you don't run into any problems it should take 6-8 hours.

96 Mystique Black On Tan V6 MTX Port Matched 01 3L, 2.5L Cams, 2.5" Exhaust Optimized y-pipe, SVT clutch, Superchips, 3L split port LIM, SVT UIM, Intake, Mustang 65mm TB, MSDS Headers. Eibach Pro Kit, Torsen Diff., Ford Racing 17" Wheels.
#1509506 03/03/06 04:37 AM
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Avey:

Heh I was saying that a couple weeks ago when I did mine. Although I would have paid three times as much back then so it was worth the wait. Oh and yeah, bring something comfy to lay down on, you'll be on it for hours and hours.......and hours.

It's not "hard" just time consumming, if you don't run into any problems it should take 6-8 hours.

What if I don't have much mechanical experience..

Would it be more worth it to set aside a few days and tackle it on my own or else just pay someone to do it right?

Thinking about doing headers and a trubendz catback at the same time.

98.5 T. Red Contour SVT Lowered on FSVT's http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2154233
#1509507 03/03/06 04:44 AM
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by Berkel:

Would it be more worth it to set aside a few days and tackle it on my own or else just pay someone to do it right?

I say set aside a few days and do it yourself, it's not really complicated just a very tight space.

96 Mystique Black On Tan V6 MTX Port Matched 01 3L, 2.5L Cams, 2.5" Exhaust Optimized y-pipe, SVT clutch, Superchips, 3L split port LIM, SVT UIM, Intake, Mustang 65mm TB, MSDS Headers. Eibach Pro Kit, Torsen Diff., Ford Racing 17" Wheels.
#1509508 03/03/06 06:00 AM
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T

It dosent take much mechanical know-how, basically you raise the car up on jackstands, remove both front wheels, get a creeper or something to lie on and just go nuts
getting torque on any of the nuts is REALLY hard, and guess what, its harder when you have to remove the studs after. Your arms will kill from holding stuff up all day for sure.

There is one thing i did that i dont wish anyone to do, i didnt tighten all the header bolts 100%, i got all the bottom ones and 2 of the top ones on both headers, but the others were IMPOSSIBLE to get at, the design of the Weapon R headers made it so i couldent get at them, let alone get any torque on them.

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

#1509509 03/03/06 04:01 PM
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
have fun, thats all i gotta say, you shoulda done them when u did the 3.0 Ryan.

I know I'm kicking myself

#1509510 03/03/06 06:06 PM
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A

It dosent take much mechanical know-how, basically you raise the car up on jackstands, remove both front wheels, get a creeper or something to lie on and just go nuts
getting torque on any of the nuts is REALLY hard, and guess what, its harder when you have to remove the studs after. Your arms will kill from holding stuff up all day for sure.

There is one thing i did that i dont wish anyone to do, i didnt tighten all the header bolts 100%, i got all the bottom ones and 2 of the top ones on both headers, but the others were IMPOSSIBLE to get at, the design of the Weapon R headers made it so i couldent get at them, let alone get any torque on them.

Did you slip a long extension in between the subframe and the body of the car (around the steering rack) and use a swivel joint on the end of your extension? You have less than an inch of space but it is enough to get a 3/8" extension through. Also I didn't need to remove any studs off the head to slip the header down, maybe the SVT has something that gets in the way? I also didn't need to remove the drivers side wheels but that's not a big deal.

I know the rad is thicker so maybe that doesn't help and maybe on the rear something involving the oil cooler gets in the way? I also undid the EGR tube out of the EGR valve and left it on the read manifold, seemed to be easier.

I can't comment on the Weapong R headers as I have MSDS headers but I beleive they are nearly identical hence the reasons they are no longer able to sell them.

For me is was raise the car up on jack stands as high as you can, remove the passenger side wheel and splash cover. From under the car loosen the three bolts holding the alternator to the alternator bracket, leave the wires connected and let it sit there loose. For the rear manifold undo the bottom bolts with a swivel joint, slip the long extension over the subframe and get the top bolts, undo the EGR tube from the EGR valve up top. Now for the front manifold grab the top bolts with a wrench from the top and with a ratchet from the bottom of the car. Of course you would have already removed the y-pipe and o2 sensors etc.

Took me 9 hours with grabbing food and propane for my heater, heh still not proud of that. I had my engine and subframe dropped in about 6 hours when I did my 3L swap.

#1509511 03/03/06 06:07 PM
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Oh yeah and it made a HUGE difference in power, so there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

Just realized after this post I am no longer categorized as a "New CEG'er" Woohoo!

Last edited by Avey; 03/03/06 06:39 PM.

#1509512 03/03/06 07:18 PM
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
here is exactly what i did:

Jack up the car, support it on 4 jackstands. remove both front wheels, remove all of the exhaust components but the catback (just leave it hanging) start with the front header, remove all the nuts, drain the oil, remove the oil filter, remove the 02 sensors and remove the manifold. Pretty easy, about 2-3 hours. Now go to the rear manifold, remove the egr and the 02 sensors, remove all the bolts going over the subframe to get at the top ones, remove all the top studs, remove old manifold. Remove and cut up the EGR so it will fit with the new headers, wire up the 02 sensors+MIL's, install the rear manifold, install the EGR back, install the 02 sensors+MIL's, tighten all the header bolts and studs up, go to the front manifold, put header on the studs, tighten up the bolts, dremel out as much of the radiator fan backing as needed to get the upstream o2 Sensor in, install the downstream 02 sensor+mil, hook up the y-pipe and the rest of the exhaust, start it up check for leaks. Lower the car and enjoy.

much like your weiner.

#1509513 03/03/06 11:03 PM
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B

Jack up the car, support it on 4 jackstands. remove both front wheels, remove all of the exhaust components but the catback (just leave it hanging) start with the front header, remove all the nuts, drain the oil, remove the oil filter, remove the 02 sensors and remove the manifold. Pretty easy, about 2-3 hours. Now go to the rear manifold, remove the egr and the 02 sensors, remove all the bolts going over the subframe to get at the top ones, remove all the top studs, remove old manifold. Remove and cut up the EGR so it will fit with the new headers, wire up the 02 sensors+MIL's, install the rear manifold, install the EGR back, install the 02 sensors+MIL's, tighten all the header bolts and studs up, go to the front manifold, put header on the studs, tighten up the bolts, dremel out as much of the radiator fan backing as needed to get the upstream o2 Sensor in, install the downstream 02 sensor+mil, hook up the y-pipe and the rest of the exhaust, start it up check for leaks. Lower the car and enjoy.

How you put oil and an oil filte back on!!

98.5 Black SVT with 34k miles Build #5683 Born on 4\15\1998 WR Headers GMK CAI Blaupunkt system fiberglass tweeter pods L.E.D. tail lights in the works
#1509514 03/04/06 04:29 AM
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by BlackE1:

How you put oil and an oil filte back on!!

Oh yea, i did that before starting it up

much like your weiner.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard