Hello Forum,

I have a 1999 Mystique with 60K miles. Its an automatic with the Zetec 2.0L engine.
I bought it used and it had been started in a couple of years. Over a period of the last few weeks I ran the tank dry starting the car daily, etc. and replaced the two year old gas and dropped in Techron. Its starts and runs fine, but after its warmed up I get a P0340 when the car is restarted after dring for 10-12 minutes. The timing belt and tensioner seem ok, but probably should be replaced long term I suspect. I replaced the cam shaft position sensor as a shot. I also see 14 volts on one of the two pins when disconnected and the car is running. The other observation, and may be inherent in the Zetec with VCT, is I hear some valve train noise in the 1900-2100 RPM range. I ohmed out the VCT solenoid and its at about 4 ohms. I also see 14 volts on one of the two connector pins. When I unplug the VCT solenoid the valve train sounds great driving. As expected however I get P1380 along with the P0340 code however. Could the VCT solenoid assembly be causing the P0340 as the only code?. I guessing yes and bummed at the replacement costs to find out. I also had the oil changed after I was getting the P0340. I have drine thae car about 100 miles at this point with new gas and oil.

Thanks much!!!

BobM.