Originally posted by warmonger:
Originally posted by Stazi:
That's the best spot, better than the pan. Why?
1) you are always higher than the oil level, so it will drain without allowing a backfill of the oil line.
2) the pan can be dropped without having to mess with lines.
3) The block is thicker than the pan, so it is tapped easier with less chance of cracking, AND there are more threads (less chance of leakage).

This is for you Todd

The block skirt is part of the strength of the engine rotating assembly, the pan has very little. Holes are stress risers and although it is likely that it is low there, I just wondered what would happen with regard to cracks and such.
I tapped the pan because the top edge of the pan always remains above oil level except under momentary circumstances and even then there is plenty of room in the tube to accept continued oil drainage. The car levels out and no issues.
There hasn't been a problem with drainage into the top of the pan. The only problems I've seen is not restricting high pressure oil going into the turbo.
Also, if there is a leak or if servicing is required, it is easier to unbolt the tube from the pan. If something happens, a pan is pretty cheap.
After two and a half years with it, I found no problems. Also, even with six full quarts of oil the drain is still high enough.

I dig it...

those are my reasons for the pan as well.

and fast coug...I forgot you were building your own headers...I am using the MSDS ones that are modified and I think it would be tough to get it there on mine.

98 E0 SVT with some stuff