Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#1505439 02/17/06 12:48 PM
F
Smurfette
OP Offline
Smurfette
F
Mike and I rescued a kitty from the local animal shelter last night.

He's so cute! He's very timid until you pet him, and then he's such a little cuddlebug. You can tell he's not used to getting so much affection, but he definitely enjoys it when you pet him.

He didn't fight when they put him into the pet carrier. He's so chill. He didn't meow or anything the whole ride home. He just sits and checks everything out. You would never know he's nervous because his eyes don't bug out and he doesn't twitch at every noise you make. It's awesome. We still don't know if he meows or not.

When we got him home, we put the carrier in the livingroom and left the door open. He didn't want to come out, so we just kinda hung back, and he came out, but then hid. I think the house is too big for him to deal with all at once. (plus I turned all the lights on and I don't think he likes bright light too much).

So we put his food and litter box in our bedroom, and spent time with him in there for the rest of the night. He was pleased with that arrangement.
So we left him in there for the day while we're at work.

It's a long holiday weekend for me, so we're going to spend all/most of our time allowing him to get acclimated to the rest of the house.
We want him to know that the whole house is his, so he doesn't have to hide.

Once you pet him for a while, he gets up the courage to check things out. He went to town on his food and pooped up his litter box almost right away, so he's definitely getting comfy. He also played with his little mouse toy and rattleball, so I think that's how we're gonna let him get to know the house. Just let him bat that ball all over the place.

I started snapping pics of him, but my camera batteries were dead.
I charged them overnight, so I'll be snapping pics like a madwoman this weekend.

We called Mike's parents to tell them, and one of the first things they asked us was "so when are you getting a dog" wtf! before last night, they kept asking when we were going to get a cat.
sheesh

Kim 1995 Contour GL Needs less "needs more"
#1505440 02/17/06 12:57 PM
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
AWESOME!!!!

hes such a cute bugger.
are you keeping his name Bugsy
or are you changing it?

are you sure you want to keep the litter box in your bedroom?
thats kinda a stinky situation..har har

NY State Trooper: So what makes your car so special to have SVT all over it? Me: Er...It was made by Fords SPECIAL Vehicle Team?
#1505441 02/17/06 01:01 PM
F
Smurfette
OP Offline
Smurfette
F
It's a temporary situation until he's ready to roam the house.
There's a perfect spot for the box in the downstairs bathroom. Secluded corner hidden by the sink and the clothes dryer.

The name Bugsy (shelter name) is actually growing on us.
He's a hood rat afterall. Total manch-vegas gangsta (picked up on Cedar street if anyone is aware of the area).
What better name for a gangsta that hangs in vegas?

But we have plenty of time to determine a name that suits his personality.

#1505442 02/17/06 01:08 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
very nice

just becarful about letting him do what he wants. our caat although she doesn't jump on table or counters has a habbit now of clawing at funiture or the carpet to get attention, even though she gets plenty of attention. A good think to try is a spray bottle of water to discurage bad actions.

other then that our cat has my parents trained, 8pm every night she gets a treat, etc ...

pets will completely change your life, enjoy

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
#1505443 02/17/06 01:22 PM
F
Smurfette
OP Offline
Smurfette
F
One habit we need to change - he's a nightowl.
He didn't let us sleep last night. He decided to finally explore, play and come purr in our faces.

As I was getting ready for work, he was taking a nap. little brat!

#1505444 02/17/06 01:29 PM
E
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
E
haha
hes used to roaming the streets at night.

i wish i wasnt allergic to cats...i would love to take jess' cat home from her mumz.
she has this cute bobtail manx that is sooo playfull and loving.

plus cats are so independent!
you can leave them for a night and not worry about them

NY State Trooper: So what makes your car so special to have SVT all over it? Me: Er...It was made by Fords SPECIAL Vehicle Team?
#1505445 02/17/06 01:32 PM
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Congrats. Don't worry about him being shy. All cats are shy in new places. It could take up to a couple weeks to become fully acclimated. Don't be afraid to shut the bedroom door if you need to. Cats are individual and do what they want. Sometimes mine sleep with me, sometimes they don't. It's all on their terms. I suggest keeping the food separate from the litter box, but that's your call. Don't worry - if the cat is litter trained, it'll find the box - even if its in the basement. Just be sure to keep the door cracked. ;-)

Doug 2006 Mercury Milan V6 Premier Dark Blue Pearl Former owner of a 2000 SVT Contour
#1505446 02/17/06 01:36 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Congratulations! We got our dog from an animal shelter too - she's the sweetest thing ever.

No cats here -- actually, we got her originally to keep the area cats from using our yard as the neighborhood litter box. (She's good at her job, too!)

#1505447 02/17/06 01:38 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by frenchblueC2:
One habit we need to change - he's a nightowl.
He didn't let us sleep last night. He decided to finally explore, play and come purr in our faces.

As I was getting ready for work, he was taking a nap. little brat!

all cats are that way, ours stays in the basement at night because she would come into my parents room at like 3 am and wake them up doing the same thing, and it is all so much more worse on the weekend

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
#1505448 02/17/06 01:43 PM
F
Smurfette
OP Offline
Smurfette
F
yeah, food near the litter box is yuck.
Right now, they're at either ends of the room.
But this weekend, we're going to move the poop box downstairs and keep the food up in the kitchen.

Mike and I both grew up with cats, but the last time I had to acclimate a new kitty, we were kids, so there was always someone home. I even helped my parent's cat give birth to her litter. That was cool!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  baco99, frenchblueC2_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard