Page 2 of 2 1 2
#1503693 02/17/06 03:43 AM
J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by volcar:
Try this, remove the vacuum line to the EGR valve & plugged the hose with a golf tee. If it's the EGR value that�s causing the problem the misfire will continue & means that the EGR valve is defective. If it continues to idle badly reconnect the vacuum line & remove the electrical connector for the EGR Vacuum Regulator (EVR) if the idle stays bad replace the EVR unit. However, if the idle get's better replace the Back Pressure Transducer (DPFE) unit. Hope it helps

Do I remove the vacuum line to the EGR while the engine is running, or do I remove it first, then start the car?

So I found this procedure here in a search:

Quote:

Modified test for EGR (per Ray and Steve):
(remove the green vacuum hose from the top, be careful as it is brittle, and apply a vacuum (attached a small hose and suck on itl) to see if the car stumbles while running. This indicates a properly operating EGR.

Does it work properly?

NO: The EGR valve is defective or the EGR passages are clogged. Check (and clean, if needed) the passages behind the Throttle Body. Purchase a TB gasket, and remove the air plenum (rubber accordion tube) then remove the TB. Clean the EGR passage (small cut-out in the outer edge of the TB's mating surface) really well, install a new gasket and re-attach the TB. If the passages are clear, the EGR valve is defective. While rare, they do fail.

YES: The EGR valve works and the passages are clear. The likely fault is the DPFE sensor or its sample hoses, followed by the EVR solenoid or the PCM. May also be caused by interconnecting vacuum lines or electrical connections.

So when I am sucking on the tube, am I closing the valve or opening it?

Last edited by jborge; 02/17/06 03:58 AM.

------------------------------------------------- 1996SE sports package, Duratec MTX No mods yet. 80K Kilometers. ------------------------------------------------- Wife has 1996GL Zetec ATX.
#1503694 02/17/06 02:01 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Quote:

So when I am sucking on the tube, am I closing the valve or opening it?

Opening it. With no vacuum, the valve pintle should seal in its seat and allow no airflow through the valve. Applying vacuum to the diaphram causes the pintle to move out of its seat.

You can remove the vac line at any time. Doens't matter for the purposes of the vacuum test.

OTOH, pull it while the engine is running and see if there is a change in the idle. Sometimes the EVR solenoid leaks and applies vacuum to the EGR valve when it shouldn't. This will also cause problems.

Carbon buildup in the EGR valve seat can also cause EGR flow when not commanded. Check the seat and pintle for proper seating.

Steve

98 Contour SE Sport 2.5 Duratec ATX The wifey's car 89 Taurus SHO - 246K miles 94 SHO ATX - 190K 1997 F-150 5.4L ATX - The Workhorse 150K. ANY THREAD WITH "OMG" or "WTF" ETC IN THE TITLE WILL BE IGNORED!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard