W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by Ray:
Originally posted by Trapps:
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoShoââ??¢:
What kind of pictures?

Yea, are we talking Moe or MY99SVT pictures?

We're talking... yeah.. I had my run-ins with the rules in the past about posting them, sure.

I've only shown the tip of the iceberg to a few select people, off the forums. Even they only saw a tiny bit.

but, yeah... the car is amazing!

Tip of What Iceberg? What kind of cool pictures did I miss...

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
S
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
S
and im thinking of throwing mine on the auction block too!
though mine's not turbo'd
i thought about getting one but then thought, hell, i might as well get that cobra i always wanted and vert to boot!

Originally posted by Tourgasm:
Sometimes you can mess up a word so bad that spell check doens't know what the hell you're talking about.

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Yeah I'll do the 3L and bigger snail and then see how I feel.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
WHOA!!!! I like Tom's old car, and I am sure it is powerful, but to call a BMW owner an idiot?

Come on...there is way more to a BMW than performance.

I know you are excited Ray...so I forgive you.

98 E0 SVT with some stuff
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by stilov:
WHOA!!!! I like Tom's old car, and I am sure it is powerful, but to call a BMW owner an idiot?

The whole idea of a BMW 3 series is driving experience. The only thing the turbo SVT wouldn't have over it is fit & maybe the interior quality, but the SVT is a pretty darn good package. With the turbo & other upgrades Ray has, the driving experience is well beyond any BMW. The only other objection would be the headache of having to mod the car to get it to that level. Was no trouble for Ray as he bought the car in that condition.

Are you talking status symbol? The BMW is losing its appeal as a status symbol as every wanna-be on the planet has one now. At this point in my life, I wouldn't buy a new one even if I could afford it because of all the whiney p[self sensored]s that own them around here.

Last edited by TourDeForce; 02/22/06 07:35 PM.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
R
Addicted CEG\'er
OP Offline
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by TourDeForce:

The whole idea of a BMW 3 series is driving experience. The only thing the turbo SVT wouldn't have over it is fit & maybe the interior quality, but the SVT is a pretty darn good package. With the turbo & other upgrades Ray has, the driving experience is well beyond any BMW. The only other objection would be the headache of having to mod the car to get it to that level. Was no trouble for Ray as he bought the car in that condition.

Are you talking status symbol? The BMW is losing its appeal as a status symbol as every wanna-be on the planet has one now. At this point in my life, I wouldn't buy a new one even if I could afford it because of all the whiney p[self sensored]s that own them around here.

Ding!

That, and I said "anyone who would pay the SAME AMOUNT" for a BMW would be an idiot"., not that anyone who would buy a BMW at all would be. Which IS true.

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
I have a turbo SVT. I know what they are...and yes I realize that Tom's has more power. I am on my 2nd turbo build now...I am just saying...

It's true in most things...you get what you pay for.

It depends what you are looking for. What driving experience do you like? So little traction that it's tough to drive? Or a solid smooth, controlled one?

Don't get me wrong...I don't have a BMW, I am not saying they are even better. It's just relative.

Although I do have to say..."fit and maybe interior quality" come on...go see how long the BMW leather lasts compared to ford's pleather.

Again please understand...I love my SVT. I have spent SO much money and time on it...it's unreal. Just don't make judgement calls for other people and what their preferences might be.

98 E0 SVT with some stuff
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Well, I used to own a BMW and I loved it! I would buy one new but that wasn't the point I guess.
You would really have to drive my (old car) because I had pretty much the same philosophy that BMW had....which is:

-Understated
-Lots of power
-Handling
-All the creature comforts
-logical layout
-No compromise on stock functionality

So you really couldn't buy a car of similar size with all the amenities that I put into it. It isn't a racecar. It is a drivers car. From the suspension to the wheels to the interior comfort like retaining AC and high quality stereo to tastefull gauge mounting, switch mounting, etc. Quiet ride with sound deadening....I mean it is all there. Not "Boy Racer" wings or yellow paint and [censored]. You can race it but then it performs admirably as a touring car without any discomfort.
As far as traction, if you modulate the throttle, there is NO problem with accelerating fast and retaining traction. This car isn't hard to drive, the turbo is sized perfectly for a 3L engine with SVT cams. With the escape cams it was hard to drive and hook up, but not once I returned the SVT cams. There is only one BMW that has beat me by the way. It was a supercharged M3, about a year 2000 and he beat me by 0.02 seconds in the 1/4 mile because he got the launch on me but I had him by 3mph in trapp speed. When we got done he was oohing and ahhing over my simple SVT Contour, even though I told him I would have bought an M3 instead if I could have afforded it. This was early on in my turbo days with less drag racing experience and that was the last time too.

I think what Ray meant is that there is no affodable BMW, and I say this lightly as the M3 is nice but new or used it's out of the price range, but there is no affordable BMW that could compete with my old car when you take ALL categories into account. I say that hands down, bet money on it!
And no, I'm not

To give you an understanding, that car rode almost as quiet as my brand new Volvo. Interior is almost like it was new, just broke-in a little. It was a night and day difference riding in mine after riding in another CEG'rs SVT with less miles, talk about road noise and rattles! I sound deadened and tied up everything under that dash and every panel that could move years ago and never looked back or even realized how good a job I'd done until I rode in a 2000 SVT with none of that attention. Huge difference.

This stuff is more or less what I've hinted at and mentioned over the years but is not truly understood unless you have the chance to just live with the car.
You find over and over again that you just choose to drive it over other cars even when they are newer and sitting in your garage.
I almost never drove my Volvo when I had the SVT. I like the Volvo and it is fun to drive; it was supposed to be a future project car, but it is nowhere near as fun to drive as the SVT and it doesn't have any creature comforts above the SVT other than dual climate controls.
I just had several things that happened in the last two years ...like have two MORE kids, the newest of which is 1 month old now that forced me to buy a larger capacity vehicle and the fact that getting stationed in different places makes keeping 3+ cars a big expense and problem.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Although I do have to say..."fit and maybe interior quality" come on...go see how long the BMW leather lasts compared to ford's pleather.

Well, I have a 1986 325e and I have a pair of front seats to replace the old ones that have been deteriorated (torn/cracked) for the last 10 years. I'll be dying & treating all the leather to match starting next month. I had to get fresh seats because the padding in the BMW seats is BADLY compressed & worthless.

I do admit that the car was not properly cared for & sat in the sun WAAAAAY too much before I owned it. It'll get new paint too.

BMWs are nice, but they ain't "all that" either. I've had 3, so I think I know more about them than the average bear. Frankly, not worth the extra $$$ they ask IMNSHO.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
I've always found BMW interiors to be a bit...inscrutable. Oddly labeled buttons and dials that fit practically flush to the center console don't make for quick and easy adjustments when you're driving. So far, the Contour console has been the easiest panel I've ever used, probably even a bit simpler than my old Integras were.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard