Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#1499019 02/09/06 09:39 AM
B
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
B
I think the sites perfect the way it is. As far as the pics of the pretty ladies are concerned....lighten up, but don't throw the rule out the window.

A detailing forum wouldnt be super duper popular for at least 65% of the people here and would probably have just as many debates as the Audio forum here. Come on now...Rog says Pinnacle and I say P21S, what the heck. I think between Aesthetics and pics and vids we can spread out those posts.
Rog will win...He always does

I will assure you guys you will never see a street racing forum here on CEG, Lance is 100% against it. I agree to a point, an after all its his site.

Maybe set up somethink like an opinion poll in the classifieds, where the buyer can leave feedback for the seller, and people can search through that. I think a whole big forum dedicated to that would take up too much spce here on the forums, but would be a great idea linked into the classifieds.

There arent many forums that actually host pics for you, and that seems like too much of a hassle, plus bandwith issues for people hot linking them to other sites.

Updating the main site is a NEED IT YESTERDAY deal. I have no problems offering my services to help out with updating it. I do run one web forum of my own http://www.chicagoceg.com as the Chicago guys know, Sorry Pete for the shameless plug and a Windows Share Point site for work, which is password protected so theres no sense in giving out the address.

Stickies need to be looked at, and condensed or put in some sort of order. Some of them unstickied even.

Mods...No more, no less. I don't agree with some of the mods on this site and think they take things way too seriously, but the others make up for it. I think we need someone like an Admin that can put time into the site and be non-biased and make some of the final decisions. No offense to Lance or Brian, but I don't think they have enough time with thier personnal life to be here often enough to make those final decisions.

Last but not least....Shoot people in the head when they yell search......Theres nothing new for the car, and we need something to talk about. I've been starting everydays CEG experience in Common Interests, just because it's more Up-To-Date!!!!

All in all, I think you guys have some great ideas, but clutter, and reputition is whats gonna come out of some of these changes that you guys are talking about...

Sorry guys, i a nutshell, I like how the site is now....

Steve

www.ChicagoCEG.com 2006 White Grand Prix
#1499020 02/09/06 12:54 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
i think we should hold weekly "tribal meetings" where we all get to vote and someone gets banned

~Andrew

P.S. i nominate myself for host of the weekly meetings

2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 20 valves of fury
#1499021 02/09/06 02:08 PM
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
First off, Pete, you'r edonig a great job with the stickies and organizing information around here. Your hard work is appreciated.

User theme selection. Any forum software after like, 1992 has user-selectable "themes". There could be one theme for 56k people sitting in front of their tandy's with a packet of pop-rocks from 1987, and there could be a modern theme that loads the avatars and graphics pizzaz that any broadband user could use. Since the softwares being updated, that probably wont be a problem at all.

Integrated classifieds rating system. This one might require a little custom work, but maybe a plugin could be found depending on what forum software we upgrade to. Basicly, tie a ratings system in with the forum user accounts. Click on a dude's profile in the forums, see his classified's rating. Require use of a forum user name/profile to create and maintain classified ads.

Ability to search ALL forums at once. Self explanatory, no?

No girls rule. I can appreciate a work-safe environment, but we're all at least 16 yrs old here right? Dont get me wrong, I view this site a lot at work and I dont need naked chicks dancing across my screen (....not saying I haven't thought it might be pretty dang awesome), but a "modestly" dressed girl shouldn't be a problem should it?

sub-forum changes. Please, lets not do like FCO and burry subforums inside of forums inside of websites blah blah blah. I recommend we consolidate forums based on usage. Lets face it, the SCCA and national events forums get hardly any traffic. Merge them somewhere. I dont think the other forums really get enough traffic to warrant dividing them up (like aesthetics), I mean is there really that many new posts all the time to warrant dividing it up? Common Interests is another story. That sucker gets some traffic. Maybe an "offtopic" section, with a few different forums in it depending on content of the existing CI forum.

Now if we're talking the main site, jeesh, that sucker needs an OVERHAUL. Call chip foose, sucker needs to be stripped, torn down, and sent to media blasting stat. The whole how-to section is burried somewhere in mods, or FAQ, or something that totally barely makes sense. The registry/profiles thing is hopeless because it takes 4 months to get a profile update added. and the list goes on. Truthfully, most stuff that the CEG is good for is in the forums anyway. The site doesnt have to have much, maybe a classifieds section, a car profile section (that is user updatable), and an introduction of some kind. The how-to is great and all, but it needs to be updated regularly to keep it somewhat current (oh say like, within a year or 4) in relation to all the how-to's in the forums.

Thats my $1.50, fwiw.

#1499022 02/09/06 04:24 PM
G
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Originally posted by Davo:
Originally posted by GTO Pete:
Have been cleaning up the forums I moderate in an effort to reduce the # of stickies.

For real? I see 5 stickies at the top of this forum, 3 of which have appeared in the last 24 hours. Are you looking at something different than me?

...and no, I'm not 'antagonizing' you.

That's just this forum Davo. I didn't say I was done - I said I "have been".

Take a look at:
Aesthetics: was 5 stickies, now 3
Duratec Performance: was 5 stickies, now 2
Duratec Maintenance: was 4 stickies, now 2
General Mods: was 5 stickies, now 2

Instead of being critical of someone who wants to improve CEG, why don't you criticize those that do nothing for the site?

I guess what I have done and what I do isn't as valuable as someone who does nothing but post in CI.

Nor do I see you criticizing any of the other moderators or forums that have always had more stickies, outdated info, and far less organized than any of the forums I moderate. I'm by no means knocking the other mods - Unlike some people, I actually appreciate what they do for CEG on their own time.

Last edited by GTO Pete; 02/09/06 04:38 PM.

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
#1499023 02/09/06 07:00 PM
S
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
S
how about a section on the left side, under our sigs where we can post info like mods, times, etc... kinda like on cardomain. i also like the avatars. and allow gifs, those are cool. but not in the sig(?) where people post their info now. that looks too cluttered and on some sites its difficult to distinguish between info from the thread and someones filler crap.

some good suggestions here. ill help out if needed. i wouldnt mind helping in the classifies section.

Originally posted by Tourgasm:
Sometimes you can mess up a word so bad that spell check doens't know what the hell you're talking about.

#1499024 02/09/06 07:05 PM
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
oh! one more suggestion... no username changes! its too confusing! i'd say gove everyone a month to change it to what they want it to be permanantly, then lock it.

~Ryan 1999 T-Red SVT Contour 41k Miles #1701 / 2760 B&M, Custom Y-Pipe, Alpine HU, Pioneer 6x8's & 6x9's
#1499025 02/09/06 07:30 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Guitarman19853:
oh! one more suggestion... no username changes! its too confusing! i'd say gove everyone a month to change it to what they want it to be permanantly, then lock it.

That's a good idea. I had been considering a username change for a while now (particularly since I no longer drive a 98 SE, perhaps I should change to 00 SE? ). Probably something boring like my initials, but something that would remain permanent.

Perhaps not necessarily "no" username changes, but changes that must be approved by an admin? Or maybe just limit like one a year or something.

#1499026 02/09/06 08:08 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
One more thing, I dont know if it has been mentioned yet or not... But, I dont think we should have the ability to change our forum names. Some people take it too far!

#1499027 02/09/06 08:09 PM
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
I like the all forums search idea, instead of putting that option in the search part, a search bar could be placed at the bottom of each forum's main page, I see that on lots of other forums.
Also since there is a list of all the members there could be a separate list of all the mods and admins too so we know who all the mods/admins are.
So far good ideas here, and yes I think we do need a few more mods on this site, not enough of them since most of them have busy lives outside of CEG and at least 2 mods per forum.
I can't wait to see the new layout.

Jason G. 1997 Mercury Mystique GS ZETEC ATX Born: 11/96
#1499028 02/09/06 08:14 PM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
As I said before:
FORCE NEW MEMEMBERS TO READ THE STICKIES WHEN THEY SIGN UP BY CREATING A "HOLD" PERIOD BEFORE THEY CAN POST.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard