Originally posted by Auto-X Fil:
In general, a bigger front bar results in more understeer, and I'd yell at someone for saying they would have used one. However, this is weargle, so he's probably being sarcastic or more likely, serious about reducing body roll. The heavier front bar combined with a stiff rear bar and aftermarket springs can certainly be tuned to be neutral. I am thinking about drilling holes in my bar so I can move the endlinks down and make it stiffer, if my new rear springs (425lb/in from 280lb/in) and Aussie bar make the car too twitchy. The extra front weight transfer will make the car tend to understeer, but if the front tires have better camber because the car is rolling less, then maybe it won't end up understeering. It's all a matter of looking at the suspension as a whole instead of isolation.

My "only" suspension mods are Koni/Roush at each corner, and poly bushings on the stock 19mm rear bar. With the SE, I have a 20mm front. Depending on conditions (telemetry) I can get oversteer or understeer. Depends a lot on braking, corner entry and exit speeds, etc. I never got oversteer on my stock setup, even with the poly bushings.

I have an SVT front, and that's my next step with the suspension. It looks like a complete PITA to install, though, and I'm not even sure how to approach it. Frankly, I'm a little scared of it.

At any rate I'm not beefing up the rear until I see what the SVT front bar will do for me. Remember that the whole torsional rigidity thing is logarithmic (or is that "exponential?), so small changes can make a significant difference.

Of course, Weargle has quite a successful record, so I can't argue with that.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998