Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
PDXSVT Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
More than just one tune is practical here. Oregon does not generally allow "self service" gas pumps. With pump jockeys who did not see the "premium fuel only" markings and who also did not follow my requests for "fill it with 92" having a de-tune in place for that twice/year tank of 87 octane gas is a benefit.

These multiple tune/multiple fuel options will affect recreational racers, and us guys without tune/fuel$$ will be left out of it: If this May, Mr. BMWeekend fills up with aviation gas on his way to the road course for track day, then by this June, everybody with a 325 or 330 does.

MSDS, SHO-shop Y, custom 2.5" catback; xcal2; 63mm TB, K&N 3530; Koni struts, Aussie bar; THaines forks, Quaife, SpecII, UR fly; DMD; Nima UD pullies; Stazi brakes; f&r Pole120 mounts. Just a daily commuter car. Silver '98 SVT E0 #3159
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
For an NA car, a street tune and a track tune would be about it. If nitrous was added, one might have 2 tunes for different shot sizes.

I honestly thought that the xcal2 only had one tune at any given time. How do you switch tunes with it?

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Originally posted by Swazo:
For an NA car, a street tune and a track tune would be about it. If nitrous was added, one might have 2 tunes for different shot sizes.

I honestly thought that the xcal2 only had one tune at any given time. How do you switch tunes with it?

You just plug the Xcal2 in, and it asks which program you want it to flash. You select that tune, and ~60 seconds later, your computer has that tune. Pretty simple actually, just not as convenient as a flip chip.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Originally posted by Swazo:

You just plug the Xcal2 in, and it asks which program you want it to flash. You select that tune, and ~60 seconds later, your computer has that tune. Pretty simple actually, just not as convenient as a flip chip.

Mark

With a flip chip do you just flip a swith or do u physically flip the chip on the computer. I've never had a chip so I wouldn't know either way.

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
From the flip chips I've seen, you can run a toggle switch, to where you just flip it to the program you want, and it's instant.
The benefits of being able to flip the chip on the fly, didn't outweigh the options of the Xcal2, and I know that I can drive around on my nitrous tune all day, and spray when I want. It's no big deal to pull over, shut the car off, and switch my program to nitrous, if that's what I want to do. I usually know when I'm going to need the juice.

Mark

W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
From the flip chips I've seen, you can run a toggle switch, to where you just flip it to the program you want, and it's instant.
The benefits of being able to flip the chip on the fly, didn't outweigh the options of the Xcal2, and I know that I can drive around on my nitrous tune all day, and spray when I want. It's no big deal to pull over, shut the car off, and switch my program to nitrous, if that's what I want to do. I usually know when I'm going to need the juice.

Mark

True, and you still have to shut the car off to flip the tune on the chip IIRC. I think it will screw [censored] up if you flip it in the middle of accessing data.

Like I was saying earlier, the stock code is more than able to pull timing in the event that low octane fuel is used.
So except for a nitrous tune or a serious high boost engine like 14psi+ tunes on 10:1 motor, I can't see the need for a second tune.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I used to switch positions on the TwEECer somewhat live. I would just kick in the clutch, kill the car, and restart. Program changes w/o stopping.

04 Subaru WRX "Eurosport bling bling fast and furious tokyo drift" "They have diarrhea of the mouth, and constipation of thought"
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I'll be running a tune for 91 octane and one for 113 with more timing.

I've modified the little area next to the defroster button to the left of the gauges to house the switch for my 4 bank chip. It uses an 8 position rotary switch. 0-3 are the different tunes, 4 turns the chip off and allows the OEM tune to be used and 5-8 are "no start" positions and the car will not crank.

You can switch inbetween tunes without damaging anything, only if it's not your OEM tune or anything that won't jive with your currant setup (too much timing for the octane you've got in the tank, OEM tune w/ boosted application like mine, etc)

Just do not remove your chip while the key is on! Ask Keyser

What's better about Xcal2 over the Raptor?

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
I've never used the Raptor, so I can't say anything bad about it. I just know that the Xcal2 can datalog EVERYTHING. It's pretty much everything in one package. You get 3 tunes, the datalogging, the CEL code reader, and you still have a little bit of control over the tuning(2* timing and 5% A/F).

Mark

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Ah, the xcal2 would be sweet for the super anal to get their tune down to near perfection. It would be good once you have your tune just about right though, and only then.

With the Raptor, you can only see your datalogged info in graph or spreadsheet form on your computer. I'm guessing it's the same deal with what you are able to do with the xcal2 when linked to your computer.
This is the only way to go about changing your tune until it's "just about right" IMO.

Anyway, sorry about the hi-jack IMHO, most would probably like the xcal2 version of SCT's PRP. I like the burner/raptor version.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  mbb41_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard