Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
So all the trash talking about this really doesnt apply huh. If it can be done correctly, like pete just did, there is no spidering... cracking... ?

I may just be doing this, this weekend...

G
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
G
Originally posted by RawBurt:
So all the trash talking about this really doesnt apply huh. If it can be done correctly, like pete just did, there is no spidering... cracking... ?

I wouldn't say this is a 100% fine mod. Keep in mind that this is with a headlight that was heavily hazed from a 98 Contour. I would be more hesitant with baking a new or like-new headlight. Hence my comment to use the how-to at your own risk.

I would suggest using old headlights and dehazing the clear parts when they are separated. Then do what I did and spray clear as final layer.

Capitol CEG Classifieds Make an offer! 2005 GTO IBM - 337hp/336tq
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Does anyone know if using clearcoat lacquer is safe on the headlights?

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
All the headlights I've done this on are older (from 98's). I've also done this successfully on my 94 SHO. The newest model car I've seen this being done on in person was my friends 00 Civic. He bought the car new off of the lot and when he had 8k on the car he did this mod as well. He never had any cracking, spidering, or any melting issues. Take that as you want, but I can't imagine there are two many differences in the lenses covers of your average car headlight. Now from an engineering asspect, yes, they are different plastics out there with different properties, different manufactures, different sealants, etc. and they all play a roll in how heating up the headlights will effect it. But all I am saying is that there have been many applications out there that this has been performed on and I know of no negative side effects if done correctly.

-Mike 98 Contour SVT Toreador Red #49 of 6535 Built on 3/25/97 WR Headers, Borla Cat-Back, Torsen T2 LSD, K&N Short Ram, S-AFC and Focus Shift Tower 85 Camaro 1969 358ci, 97 TA interior, 91 Z28 GrdEfx and Aero Wing 255rwhp
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Just out of curiosity, what did you take your 94 SHO headlights apart for? I've got a 93 with some hazing headlights, and would consider doing something different with them if there's a decent option. You can PM me if you'd rather.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
They were leaking. Moisture kept on getting trapped inside and it looked like crap.

Nothing really to cool to do with those cars. I know of one guy that installed projectors and put HID light in his car. Looked a little wierd but definately stylish and different. The only real straight forward and easy mod is the 'fish bowl' mod. Where you remove the inner (pointless) empty headlight pieces and drill holes in the back of them and install running/parking lights. Makes them appear to be more like the Mustang style headlights. Looks pretty cool and doesn't really cost a whole lot either.

SHO's are fast cars, but have many many problems from my experiance. They have all of the little annoying issues just like the Contour's. The major one is the damn EGR system. The down pipes to the rear exhaust manifold is worthless. The often get holes in them and you can't replace it from the dealerships as Ford no longer makes parts for those cars. Good luck finding it in a junkyard as well. Best sources for any parts is www.shotimes.com or www.shoforum.com or me. I still have a lot of spare parts laying around from my 94 ATX.

-Mike 98 Contour SVT Toreador Red #49 of 6535 Built on 3/25/97 WR Headers, Borla Cat-Back, Torsen T2 LSD, K&N Short Ram, S-AFC and Focus Shift Tower 85 Camaro 1969 358ci, 97 TA interior, 91 Z28 GrdEfx and Aero Wing 255rwhp
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
Just for info puirposes, i did this on my 93 protege 2 years ago, and i did absolutely nohtin to the headlight at all, and the plastic ousing didnt take any damage, and i gurantee u that the protege headlight is alot worse than the contour headlight for yellowing.

I wanted to do it to my contour, but i read abou all this stuff happening and blah i honestly didnt believe it. But nice to see it can be done, cutting it seems like a bit too much work. Cant wait to go out to the pullpart, adn try this out..
Before - when i first got the car

2 years later...:)

98 Black SVT (4210/6535) 93 V6 Powered Protege
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard