Originally posted by Auto-X Fil:
Anyway, the part about slotted street rotors being weaker is true, and that's what I was pointing at.

I don't agree. Cross-drilled rotors are indeed more prone to fatigue and cracking, that is correct. Slotted rotors genrally do not see this issue. Our specifications for thermal shock/life is lower for x-drilled than for solid faced rotors. However, our slotted rotors meet the exact same specifications and testing limits as our solid faced.

You are correct that for 90% of the street drivers, upgraded brakes don't mean anything. Most people feel an increased initial bite and decel and think "wow, I am stopping way shorter." Nope, your pedal feel has just become more sensitive and aggressive.

Any brake distance improvments come as a result of the bigger/stickier tire most people add at the same time. Tire mu shortens stopping distances. Bigger brakes fight fade and improve feel and modulation.

That being said, if combined with a good tire, a brake upgrade can be benificial on the street, due to the increased bite and better modulation...if a person can threshold brake well. Problem is, most people are of the stomp and pray that ABS does its job variety.

Just my $0.03.

-Todd

Last edited by Silver Snake; 01/31/06 02:55 PM.

Very few of life's problems can not be solved with the reasonable application of more horsepower!