Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
SVTake2 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Im not sure how many of you guys were lucky enough to have the odd clip on the factory amp that dosen't fit the amp bypass adapter sold at audio shops. So what Ive done is cut the adapter in half and want to splice into the speaker wire cluster that goes behind the head unit. I searched and found just what i was looking for but unfourtunatly there is only the red X of death. Does anybody have the picture somwhere they could post. I thought i had everything figured out by using the haynes manual for the wire colours but all Im getting is a very quiet and distorted sound from the (stock) speakers. If I wired up everything wrong worst case senereo is there a chance the speakers are cooked?

Here is the link to the post
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=audio&Number=902085&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

Quote:

Ok, can you see what I'm talking about here??? On the right side you can see the connector that was plugged into the right side of the factory amp (output to speakers)...

Next you see the bypass harness cut in half and plugged into that ouput plug.

Then spliced into that, you see my extension wires... those go up to the back of the HU and splice into the wires coming out of the square (speaker) connector..
Its simple, its just a matter of matching up the colors. I would show you teh back of my radio but instead of the wires being routed there, they go to my 4 channel amp in the back.

everything clear now??

--------------------

Last edited by SVTake2; 01/30/06 04:47 AM.

98.5 Black contour // A.K.A. Frankenstein 3L Oval port swap W P&P // SVT UIM, LIM, & Cams Torsen LSD // Dual Friction // KKM // Poly Mounts // ?Mystery Mod? // Actually Running! 205 hp @ 6500RPM 180 tq @ 4250RPM
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
judging by the url of the pic he was showing a metra 70-5514
http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/70-5514.html

2000 SVT Black/Tan #1633/2150 (a few mods) Alpine: CDA-9835, MRV-F540, MRD-M550 PG: TANTRUM-X 6.5 COMP all around. Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas. CEL currently: Off
S
SVTake2 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
that is the harness i have. Did you not cut the amp bypass harness and splice it into the wires that go to the head unit? That is what i need the picture of. I can't figure out the proper order of the wires.

I hope that makes sense.

98.5 Black contour // A.K.A. Frankenstein 3L Oval port swap W P&P // SVT UIM, LIM, & Cams Torsen LSD // Dual Friction // KKM // Poly Mounts // ?Mystery Mod? // Actually Running! 205 hp @ 6500RPM 180 tq @ 4250RPM
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
what brand head unit are you wiring up?

2000 SVT Black/Tan #1633/2150 (a few mods) Alpine: CDA-9835, MRV-F540, MRD-M550 PG: TANTRUM-X 6.5 COMP all around. Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas. CEL currently: Off
S
SVTake2 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
The head unit is a pioneer. The Head unit is all hooked up and working fine. Its just the signal isn't getting to the speakers. I will try to get some pictures up later tonight to help you see where im talking about.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Go here, get a Metra 70-5605 (page is big and slow loading,scroll down) Installer.com Metra makes it, but not listed on their site, I bought one of the harnesses so I can unplug the amp speaker plug, plug in the harness, splice to the headunit harness directly. I have yet to do it , however it should work.

S
SVTake2 Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
S
Here is a picture of how the clips are different.

Ive ripped the stock amp (POS anyways) apart for the little plastic clip part that will fit the end i have. For that side of the harness i know what pins go to what speakers. but on the other side of the harness it is much different shape so Im not sure the order of the speaker wires. I hope this picture helps

Now please take in mind that I already made one attempt by attaching the wires to the pins by what order they would logicly (to me anyways) go, and powered everything up. I got a very quiet signal (deck was cranked) with some crackling and distortion. If I inadvertantly hooked up two positives is there a chance I could have blown the speaker(s)? I didn't hear anything loud at all, nor any burning smell. We used to blow up old subwoofers by hooking the neg and pos up dirrectly to a battery and let er go. There was nothing like that.

thanks for all the help so far.

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
What you are doing may work, but the Metra harness I mentioned goes from speaker plug (you pulled from amp), to your speaker wires at the head unit's harness. Otherwise you are going through the small gray preamp wire, not needed. The original signals from factory radio are preamp level. You will have to go 1 wire at a time trace from the known end of the speaker plug to the adapter you made, and splice in order 1 at a time so "left front positive, etc" really goes there. You need the diagrams, notice the preout small plugs are Not shown. Mine are 1998, hopefully match yours!

[image][/image]

[image][/image]

I have: small harness adapter spliced to head unit, plugs into preamp wire drives amp that way, I bought the above Metra wire to bypass the factory amp more directly. I was thinking exactly like you are last year. Maybe I should do my wire change..

F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Did you get the system playing right?

G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
you should've just removed that plug and the small harness. the preamp wires that come out of the factory HU are probably not of a heavy enough gauge to carry a powered signal. i removed that set entirely and just made extensions to the harness.

~Ryan 1999 T-Red SVT Contour 41k Miles #1701 / 2760 B&M, Custom Y-Pipe, Alpine HU, Pioneer 6x8's & 6x9's
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  dnewma04_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard