Originally posted by 2kSVT:
OK, guys..I'm a cop certified in both RADAR and LIDAR (laser)detection. Big Jim is the only person that has said anything remotely correct about this topic. Oh, except all of you who said "slow the F down". Without getting technical,radar can be run both moving and stationary. Some cruisers have an antenna both in the front and the rear (cone shaped thing in windshield)meaning the officer can detect the speed of vehicles approaching and passing his cruiser. The radar unit can be put in "stationary" mode. This means when an officer sees a vehicle and estimates the speed of the vehicle is in excess of the limit,he can activate the antenna and measure the speed. And since the radar travels at the speed of sound,when you hear your detector go beep,your speed is locked and the $300 piece of equipment is telling you ,what you would have known in a minute anyway..pulled over. The laser is an instant on/instant off device. It is hand held and used by a stationary officer. These are usually the troopers in the median. The laser is vehicle specific and is aimed at your vehicle. The bigger the target the better,but you don't have to hit the plate. Basically ,slow down and save your $$

Rod
2kSVT

So what I said wasn't correct????

Originally posted by Matt R.:
I've ridden in plenty of police cars and sat with officers while they did radar traps. It doesn't matter if they are moving or not. Additonally, the officers are trained and certified in visual estimation of speed, and it is legitamiate in court.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX