Originally posted by TodrasByAssociation:
Originally posted by Ooklah:
I'm not trying to jack the thread, but I'm curious about something. I was under the impression that to get an accurate reading from the speed detectors, the officers could not be moving.

I was pulled over and cited the other night (1 AM, 67 in a 55) but the officer was driving south and I was driving north on the road. He immediately U-turned and pulled me over saying I was going 67.

Also, he did not write on the ticket how fast I was going. It just says I "exceeded max speed limit of 55MPH"

This is my first ticket of any sort. Anyone know if there's anything I can do? I don't mind paying the fine (I don't even know what it is yet), I just don't want my insurance rates to go up.

I'd definitely take this one to court. Without the cop clarifying how fast you were going, I think they'll have to throw it out. Sounds like he pulled 67 right out of his ass.

The cop did him a favor. This is not a good reason to dispute it. If the ticket would have been written with the specific speed, the fine would be higher. As written, he could have been doing one mph over and that is what the fine will reflect.

The reason radar can get an appropriate reading when you are both moving, either different directions or the same direction, is from the "doppler" effect. Even with this, it is necessary to be pretty much lined up. Radar looses a lot of accuracy when the vector angle gets too steep.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited