Originally posted by TodrasByAssociation:
Originally posted by Big Jim:
His solution was to remove the plate and replace it with a color copy (no sparkly reflective material). Put it under a clear plastic cover and it would be very hard to notice.

This is highly illegal.

I wonder if it really is or not. You are, after all, displaying the correct plate information in the correct format except for the reflectivness of the "official" finish.

But that aside, I'm not endorsing it. I have not done it, and I'm not recommending it, but it was an interesting study and worthy of discussion.

It also makes me wonder if there is a way to cut the reflectiveness by some other means. After all, someone is making a mint from selling a spray that alters the reflectivity to thwart red light cameras. It causes the plate to be unreadable from the flash used by the red light camera although it is perfectly readable in normal light.

Now you really have me thinking. I have noticed a lot of busses with badly faded plates. It looks like they may be subjected to diesel fuel. I wonder if whatever degrades the colored paint also degrades the reflectiveness.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited