Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
I am working on it...almost done with my UIM. Making my TB plate today.

I have had several dreams it was running.

I even postponed a 2 week business trip to get mine done this month!!!

98 E0 SVT with some stuff
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by stilov:
I am working on it...almost done with my UIM. Making my TB plate today.

I have had several dreams it was running.

I even postponed a 2 week business trip to get mine done this month!!!

I've been dreaming mine was done all too often.

I even had a dream that I came home and my dad had finished it...but he didn't torque down the flywheel bolts in sequence or to torque...

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Hahahaha... Those are some F'd up dreams. Only thing worse is that you dream your girlfriend takes it for a spin and blows the motor.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by warmonger:
Hahahaha... Those are some F'd up dreams. Only thing worse is that you dream your girlfriend takes it for a spin and blows the motor.

For me especially...I have a wife!!!

98 E0 SVT with some stuff
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by Swazo:
I was able to put down 247HP/262TQ @ 3.5psi , and not run all the way to the redline.

Swazo, that is essentially the same power as I made at essentially the same boost!

Then on run number 5 (in a Twenty Minute time span), I pulled off the ball and spring controller and did one on the stock wastegate pressure which is 3.83 (rated) but after an intercooler pressure drop of around 0.5psi it is about 3.33psi:

250wHP/220wTQ

I reread this thread, and I noticed the difference in torque. One might chalk it up to the extra head work and different UIM, who knows.

(Now I'm really going to back my ish up with my next dyno run after fine tuning and actually making it to redline )

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Yeah, there is a difference there. Could be something as simple as intercooler water temp as this was the very last run I did, not the first.

Then there are tuning differences because I no longer have it optimized for low boost like before. Then there is the fact that my indicated pressure is lower, .2 psi ought to be worth something right?

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by stilov:

For me especially...I have a wife!!!

Make sure you explain to her that she is NEVER to put gas in the car. That will eliminate the 87 octane surprise that I've seen from a few other guys.

2001 Lincoln LS8 1994 Lexus GS300
W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Ouch

W
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Okay, I did some analysis on this dyno run based on everything I know about the conditions and then going over the graph to see what it might tell me. I'm going to break it down a little bit so that those who are unfamiliar with what the graph can really tell you can see this.
If you look at just the torque curve you can see that there is hardly any benefit from a turbo this size below 2500rpm. At that point the curve starts off much like a normal 3L engine, but by 2500rpm is starts a slow climb. Then as boost starts to build the slope gets much more positive.
By comparing with a pressure gauge you can see when you start getting a positive benefit from the turbo.
With five runs to compare and one at 3.3psi, I can see that this turbo/engine reaches 3.3-3.5psi at about 2500rpm. This is pretty good considering I don't really need more torque below this point due to traction and launch issues, but I like a little boost when cruising to increase efficiency and No-downshift type passing. By 3000 rpm the turbo is taking over and by 3500rpm (~64mph) it's all over....the car starts to become a rocket and you get a huge increase in power.

Boost continues to climb rapidly. It looks like the boost spike up to 12psi is happening about 4400rpm(~77mph).
You can see that by looking at the first peak, the first area where the torque maxes out. Then the torque curve takes a downward dip as the boost level leaks back down to the 10psi range....that is the flatish section in the middle that has a decreasing slope due to the boost controller problem, and shouldn't be happening.
Basically with a turbo, as long as you are in the efficiency range, you will get an almost perfectly flat torque curve since the wastegate is regulating boost to an almost constant pressure. The tip off that there was a problem is that this curve never flattened out, even for a little while(normally 500-1000rpm range) and it started its downward trend immediately after the torque peak.

Finally, the second point on the torque curve where the slope of the line becomes even more negative, the more downward flat section corresponds to the fuel enrichment that is taking place.
Demon has mentioned that this last part is probably the catalyst overheat protection kicking in. I have not disabled this feature in my software yet and it allows the PCM to add fuel to bring down combustion temps in order to keep the catalyst from overheating and cracking.

IF the boost controller worked and the cat protection was disabled, we estimate a more linear torque curve with a much more gradual drop down around 6700-7000 rpm.
This would mean torque levels staying above 300 ft-lbs till probably 6500 rpm and maybe 290 ft-lbs by around 6900rpm.

With just these basic fixes, we estimate that it probably will pull 380 wHP at a constant 12psi with cat protection turned off.....with no real increase in risk to the motor since the torque peak of 334 ft-lbs is still down lower in the rpm range.

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Yeah, there is a difference there. Could be something as simple as intercooler water temp as this was the very last run I did, not the first.

Then there are tuning differences because I no longer have it optimized for low boost like before. Then there is the fact that my indicated pressure is lower, .2 psi ought to be worth something right?

My IC pump would just scream while not doing anything at all....(Insert girlfriend/wife joke here), but with the low boost I'm running I don't think it really matters. I do have a new pump that I will be installing tomorrow, so dyno time is on my to-do list.

Like I've said before, it feels a lot stronger now.... but they dyno will tell for sure.

Not to jinx you on selling it, but I hope you get some more fine tunage done and a good EBC installed to squeeze out even more power that's hidden

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  mbb41_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard