Originally posted by warmonger:
Actually, I owned a 95 SE and I don't think the rod shift trannies are all that nice. They work, but were always much slower shifting and more balky. The shift feel is/was much better on a cable shift, comparing new to new that is.

Then of course, if your shift forks start binding the rod shift is better. However, replacing my shift forks brought back the like-new shifting and since I haven't used ATF anymore in my transmission, I haven't had anymore issues with binding forks.
So I'd say that other than binding shift forks, the cable shift is superior in speed and feel.
My Opinion after owning both types brand new.

well having driven my fathers 95 which we got with 9k on it and my 95 LS which we got with 83k and compairing it to our 99s which we both picked up with around 60k on them I have to say the rod shifter has much better feel then the cable shifters. the rod shifter to me has a more positive, connect feel then the cable. stock for stock I really didn't notice a difference in shifting speed since the shifters are of similar lengths and similar in shape. now a cable shifter with the steeda shifter, as the second thing I put into my car is much improved. that is definately faster to shift but still lacks the possitive feel the rod shifter gives

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family