Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
K
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
I just found the complete reason why i am using an older engine thank you stazi

"A 96 will have a BUTT-load of miles so you'll need new main bearing and rod bearings and all new rod bolts and main bolts so throw on another $200 onto that list. You'll also most probably need to rear hone the cylinders and thus you'll need all new rings - another $100+. Also add in new timing cover gasket, valve cover gasket, crank seals (front and rear).

Honestly, I think it's pointless building a worn out motor. Why? What's the benefit? You have to rebuild the whole damn thing which could be mostly avoided if you simply took a low mileage Oval-port +01 motor. Then all you need it to port the heads (without removing them) and put new rod bearings in it. That's it."

These are all the things i have to do in my engines class.

K
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
ive been set back about a week i just found out today the tour is badly wounded. the clutch mas cylinder high pressure line connector is shot. the clutch system can build no pressure it just shoots brake fluid everywhere. waiting for a new line from Ford i just hope that is the problem we ll see.

K
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
all problems fixed...gasket question 3L head gaskets or 2.5L head gaskets which should i use...(guessing the 3L )

thanks

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
ding ding ding!

2000 Contour SVT SF - #542 of 2150
K
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
good that wasnt hard. anyone know where i can find piston side clearance specs for the 3L? getting more than .002 way more than that. anyone know the tolerances?

thanks

G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by kscontourkid:
good that wasnt hard. anyone know where i can find piston side clearance specs for the 3L? getting more than .002 way more than that. anyone know the tolerances?

thanks

I can look for you on monday. But I honestly wouldn't bother.

The ONLY 96 (engine) 3L Build 'em fast. Spray 'em faster. ricehatersclub.com
K
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
ok update! side clearances were way out of spec. got another motor from a friend at ford...$30 for 30,000 mile locked up motor oil filter blew off it spun a bearing(sp?) and f'd the block. pulled the pistons from it to find out the old pistons had shrunk from overheating. the new 30k pistons fit perfectly in the old block and are in near brand new condition.

i do have an important question has anyone experienced the 2.5 problem of bending con rods but in the 3L? i know normally in the 2.5 a spun bearing is usually caused by a bent con rod(correct ) this is a little bit different reason why it spun but could it have had an opposite effect on the 3L and by spinning the bearing possibly bent a con rod?
does that question make sense?

thanks
tommy

K
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
here is a pic of the main bearing bore from the spun bearing
(Left) bad! (right) what it should look like

ouch

W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Yeah ouch.

However, since the bearings are inserts and provide the surface for the crank journal, I don't think it would be that much of a problem to fix. I can think of two ways:
Welding is an option but the negatives are how weak would it make the metal around the gash from the heat of the weld? And that metal needs to be strong.
Metal-epoxy filler would be a good bet as that stuff has been used to repair engine blocks literally thousands of times to good results, but some people are inherently against it because it is a high density plastic/metal matrix. Still, a plastic metal matrix can be extremely tough and since nothing is riding against it that is what I'd do in this case if you don't want another block.
Oh, 3rd option would be have it machined down and install a machined steel insert that restores it to stock functionality. Big $ there and you would need a really capable machine shop.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
Yeah war is right. A good friend of mine had a SBC block split literally down the lifter valley and just JB welded it together. It lasted him the rest of the season. And in IMCA those cars see 7700RPM for minutes at a time and are harsher than most applications on this forum.

The ONLY 96 (engine) 3L Build 'em fast. Spray 'em faster. ricehatersclub.com
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard