Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
I did 160whp with my old 2.5 Litre...all SVT unduction plus gutted exh manifolds plus a 2.5in cat back...that was without tune and no SVT cams. On my 3L with SVT cams plus plastic oval port intake manifolds, and same exhaust as the 2.5L I am hoping to tune it out to over 200whp.

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
K
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
well after reading and debating with myself i may just go buy the 96 3L after all and do a conversion with the 2.5L i have and turn the 96 3L into a possible candidate for touring. i will go ahead and start taking the 2.5 apart tonight and see where i am. correct me if im wrong but all i should really need is a 3L block crank and pistons in order to make the conversion. then i will scrap the idea of svt cams(cause the money for them will be into the 3L block) we'll see

M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by kscontourkid:
well after reading and debating with myself i may just go buy the 96 3L after all and do a conversion with the 2.5L i have and turn the 96 3L into a possible candidate for touring. i will go ahead and start taking the 2.5 apart tonight and see where i am. correct me if im wrong but all i should really need is a 3L block crank and pistons in order to make the conversion. then i will scrap the idea of svt cams(cause the money for them will be into the 3L block) we'll see

Go check your other thread my man...

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
correct me if im wrong but all i should really need is a 3L block crank and pistons in order to make the conversion.

All I used for my 96 3L swap is the 3l short block. As a matter of fact, the 2.5s have the timing marks for the 3L and the 2.5 both on them (from what I've seen...can't speak for all).

FWIW I am the only person that has EVER attempted a 96 3L swap and one of 3 to do a pre 99 3L... Just make sure that your engine is VIN S.

Mike

The ONLY 96 (engine) 3L Build 'em fast. Spray 'em faster. ricehatersclub.com
K
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
Mike thank you i will be needing a lot of help from you and warmonger. this is the deal after about 9 hours busting my @$$ 2 friends and i pulled what was what i thought would be a 96 3L out it turned out to be a 98 so that should mean i do not need to modify the transmission bolt pattern on the block correct. i have the whole 3L and a whole 2.5L to play with. am i correct to put the heads and front engine cover from the 2.5L onto the 3L and everything will be honky-dory? please correct me if im wrong. thanx man o by the way the 3L looks in great shape and has good compression...YES!

K
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
OK another new update after reading my other thread...my budget i said i had was less than $200 "for an engine" as for parts id like to keep it as low as possible but... i expect to total around $1500 hopefully give or take a few hundred and whether i get a quaife or not(i know i need one but it is up to my parents and or i am also going to save what little money i have left from my paychecks for one)

G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
Mike thank you i will be needing a lot of help from you and warmonger. this is the deal after about 9 hours busting my @$$ 2 friends and i pulled what was what i thought would be a 96 3L out it turned out to be a 98 so that should mean i do not need to modify the transmission bolt pattern on the block correct. i have the whole 3L and a whole 2.5L to play with. am i correct to put the heads and front engine cover from the 2.5L onto the 3L and everything will be honky-dory? please correct me if im wrong. thanx man o by the way the 3L looks in great shape and has good compression...YES!

98 will need to modify the bellhousing. I suggest that you cc the heads and correct them accordingly. The hybrid will have 11.25:1 CR as-is. You will need to take some material off of the side of the combustion chamber to make it a resonable compression ratio. Just get a simple graduated clyinder and a plexiglass cover. You can use bearing grease to stick the plate to the head.

But honestly Tom is the guy you need to talk to. He has done many of these hybrids.

Don't worrie it's not hard. Especially if your willing to do some work.

Mike

G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
OK another new update after reading my other thread...my budget i said i had was less than $200 "for an engine" as for parts id like to keep it as low as possible but... i expect to total around $1500 hopefully give or take a few hundred and whether i get a quaife or not(i know i need one but it is up to my parents and or i am also going to save what little money i have left from my paychecks for one)

KC,

Do me a favor and take the case apart of your transaxle and look at the side and pinion gears. If you want to get by uber cheap at LEAST replace them!!! The weak point is not the gears tho but the caseing which flexes....

Mike

K
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
Q: Which year 3 liter should I use for my MTX-75 or ATX car?

A: Late '98 the bolt pattern of the Taurus transmission was changed to match that of the MTX-75 transmission, prior years can be modified to fit with some amount of modifications

this is from buckshot motorsports. this is where i may have been confused about getting a 98 motor would solve the block and tranny mod problem and the tranny would just bolt up. is this correct?

W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W

The 98 motor is no different than the 96 in regards to the transmission mods. Don't worry, its not hard.
Giddyup is the most recent member to do it and will have the sharper memory because of it, but I'll answer any questions I can.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard