Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
The approx price depends on what all you replace. Most people upgrade their clutch and flywheel, and throw an lsd in at this time cause its the easiest time to. People replace their syncros (sp?) and buy an upgraded shift tower as well. So...anywhere from...$1000 to $3000 if you do the work yourself I think is a fair estimate.

As far as needing to upgrade your tranny with an LSD...is it bsolutely necessary to have to drive the car...no. You do not need to upgrade...but the stock Diff is a very weak part in our cars, and it won't last long at all if you bang on it a couple of times. And while the engine is out and the tranny is out, this is the time you should invest a few more dollars and be sure that you have nothing to worry about. 99.9% of people here wll tell you your stupid if you do not replace your dif with a quaife or torsen...and I agree.

2000 Contour SVT SF - #542 of 2150
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
If I include my clutch, flywheel, and trans in with my 3L...im well near 4k.

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoShoĆ¢ā??Ā¢:
If I include my clutch, flywheel, and trans in with my 3L...im well near 4k.

ew...with my clutch, flywheel, headers, lsd, st, I will be a little over $2k. BUT, add the PRP from the group buy and that number increases...

K
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
thank you guys I think it will be under way in the next week.

so the least i can get away with is a diff/lsd? cool i think i can do that.

i spoke with my tuning man and he re enforced that the whole project sounds very straight forward.

i have just a few final questions to save me some painful research time if you guys dont mind. the rest i will read about then ask questions.

1st i plan to go with an older taurus engine...best i can get my hands on unless i get VERY lucky. will the stock MAF and injectors from the taurus work to get me running? if not please tell me the best way to make the car "run" before tuning.

2nd with the taurus engine what specific parts do i need to switch or jerry rig to fit the engine in.

3rd will mtx tranny fit right up to the taurus motor or do i need to do some jerry rigging?

4th what do i do with the IMRC and how does the 3L open the 2ndaries?

5th is there anything im missing... ?

thanks guys updates on the progress will be plentiful

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Older engine? thats your 1st mistake. get an 01+ at least. I got an 03 taurus engine for $300. There is a number of extra things you have to do with a older engine.

the least you can get away with is a diff/lsd? I dont knwo what that means, but if you dont get a LSD...you might as well not even drive the thing.

#2, and 3 search like we all had to do. all the info is here and can be found in about 5 minutes.

the 3L doesn't use the IMRC.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Warmonger has done the swap with the early engine and can tell you what you need to do to work with it. Yoou might want to PM him. It is extra work that can be avoided if you use the 01 and later block. Using the old style block certainly isn't the preferred way.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
K
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
K
unfortunatly im screwed i have the "go ahead" from my dad but...i can only find pre '01 engines.

thank you guys for going easy on me with my questions i will do some deep searching and try to find the answers to my questions.

on the older 3L block it appears that the IMRC is indeed used at least there is a computer box in the same place as my existing IMRC on the 3Ls i have found. is my assumption correct?

cross your fingers for me guys im gonna give this a shot.

M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Try LKQ...should be able to find a post 01 3L and they will usually order one in for you at no extra charge...

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by posthuman63t:

My 96 3l had IMRC.

Don't be afraid of an older engine. Especially if you don't mind doing some extra work..... Also I know for a fact that the 96 engine WILL work I have mine bolted together as we speak.. All you have to do is modify the bellhousing a bit. Use the tour oil pan, notch the block (just barely 1/4"), and drill and tap another hole under the starter! That's it!!! The rest of the std tour parts should bolt up (but you will have to use the tours heads)...

The ONLY 96 (engine) 3L Build 'em fast. Spray 'em faster. ricehatersclub.com
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by giddyup306:
Originally posted by posthuman63t:

My 96 3l had IMRC.

Don't be afraid of an older engine. Especially if you don't mind doing some extra work..... Also I know for a fact that the 96 engine WILL work I have mine bolted together as we speak.. All you have to do is modify the bellhousing a bit. Use the tour oil pan, notch the block (just barely 1/4"), and drill and tap another hole under the starter! That's it!!! The rest of the std tour parts should bolt up (but you will have to use the tours heads)...

Oh yeah!! You are correct bout that extra notch for the tip of the starter bendix. lol it has been 5+ years for me so I do tend to forget going that far back.
But from everyting you've said it is the same as I remember it.
Not too hard is it?

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard