Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1480636 01/23/06 12:40 AM
I
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
I
So then what happens when you get the chip and it's a miss? Do you just send it back and they'll try to re-program it accordingly?

'98 CSVT Black -AEM short-ram intake -Optimized TB -Optimized y-pipe -Magnaflow cat-back -B&M short-throw shifter -UD pulleys -Poly mount "It's quicker than it was stock!"
#1480637 01/23/06 12:43 AM
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by Ike:
So then what happens when you get the chip and it's a miss? Do you just send it back and they'll try to re-program it accordingly?

Mail tag, chip tag...whatever you wanna call it

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
#1480638 01/23/06 02:34 AM
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Thanks Pete, but you're misinformed. My Xcal2 was sent to me through...... the mail. I did get the car onto the dyno immediately, to show the gains from the Xcal2, and see if we could get a dyno from someone who bought their Xcal2 through Wayne @ HypIllAuto. I was extremely happy with the tunes I received from Brent @ Brenspeed, hence my excitement to start a Group Buy for CEG. I know that a few other people have gone through Brenspeed for their Xcal2's and PRP, and have been very happy.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
#1480639 01/23/06 07:06 PM
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by Ike:

well i take what u get.

It is what the programmers advance in the chip (air,Fuel,spark) that makes the car adjust. Either it will perform alittle better or alot better!! So it depends on who is programing the chip for u.

Like y2k said brenspeed did his mail order chip. It turned out great. So that being said he has proof that brenspeed has 1 under there belt for our cars, as a good chip tuner.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
#1480640 01/23/06 07:16 PM
L
L
Hi! My name is DeWayne Logan from Logan Motorsports, and we are an SCT dealer. I was turned on to this site by the guys over at newcougar.org.

I noticed that there is some confusion about how dynos read and how they are calibrated. Taking power numbers without a grain of salt is dangerous, especially when you speak of Mustang Dynos. Mustang dynos can be calibrated 2 different ways, and you should realize that they are calibrated VERY often, at least they should be. Dynojet's also need to be calibrated, but only every 4-6 months, depending on usage. Some shops don't follow this very well however, and as a result skewed readings aren't as uncommon as you would think. If I were you I'd always ask to know when was the last time the dyno was calibrated, and also what correction factor was used. There is no excuse to still be using the old "std" correction factor, as everyone in the industry uses SAE at this point. You need to understand that dynos are just a tool, and that is why the tool is only as good as the person using it. Arguing over power numbers is trivial, it's power gains that are important to see.

Now, as for dyno tuning adding power. It cannot, and should not, be said how much power dyno tuning will add. There is no rule, but you need to understand that the way your car performs is more than just numbers. A good dyno tune will not only make sure the car is making power, but that it is doing so safely and efficiently. Dyno tuning quickens throttle response, and very often improves gas mileage as well. Dyno tuning is ALWAYS better than a mail order tune, because it is specifically tailored to your car, and only your car. It should be noted that automatic cars will seem to benefit more from either a mail order tune or a dyno tune, because the tuner should (a good tuner at least) optimize the transmission for maximum performance. This includes shift points, shift firmness, etc.

I didn't really mean to just jump in this thread, but if you have more questions about dynos just PM me. I'm not the be all end all for dyno information, but I have used them and I do own one, so I know quite a bit.

DeWayne Logan Logan Motorsports www.loganmotorsports.com dewayne@loganmotorsports.com
#1480641 01/24/06 02:38 AM
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by Arhethia:
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoShoĆ¢ā??Ā¢:
Wow this thread has gone bad...Y2kSVT had a dyno tune with his XCAL2. If anyone says a mail order tune is better than a dyno tune...
The HP gains will be diff for everyone dependent on the mods already done for the car. There isn't some magic hp number with a chip.

Couldn't agree with u more!!

Doesn't Y2K have a 3.0? 10 hp yeah and that was not on a mail order chip.

I say on average 8-9 hp on a 2.5 with an aftermarket tune after all the bolt on upgrades. Headers, maf, y-pipe, cat-back exhaust, air intake. That is tuned while on the dyno, mail order i gues a 5hp gain average.

5-6hp gain for a stock upgrade tune.

Mail order is hit or miss. Has been said a million times before.

No way to know with a mail order. I picked up 20 just playing with open exhaust and air fuel on my NA 3L.
In street trim with just an emanage I was able to make 10HP gain by tuning the A/F. With timing control I could have done even better.

You gotta remember that how well your car does is going to be 50% attention to little details in both the build up and the tune! Hand porting, port matching, valve size calculations, age of the components, grade of fuel, etc.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
#1480642 01/30/06 02:11 AM
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
I haven't called Mt. Airy motors to see if they use a correction factor or not, but I will do that tomorrow.

Someone asked about calibration, They calibrated the dyno right before my pulls. I was the first one of the morning that day.

And one other mod I forgot about is an open element filter.

As for other pulls to re-verify my numbers, ain't gonna happen. The car is back in SC getting repainted. I spent the last week and a half at home on my dad's body shop getting it ready for paint.

Former - 98 CSVT E0 T-Red 4/4/97 #173 of 6535 Dear Santa
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  mbb41_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard