Originally posted by KingpinSVT:
Yes you need a fuse or circuit breaker, at 150 amps. You also will need a distrabution block under the hood to connect the old wires to the new one.

A few notes on battery relocation:

First off, I'm not sure I'd do it again. By the time I paid for cable, distribution blocks, and stuff to mount the battery securely, it was getting expensive. Paying the extra money for a lightweight battery makes a lot of sense. However, as for the argument that the wiring is as heavy as the weight savings: I ran ~20 total feet of 4ga copper and it was no heavier than the stuff I was able to strip from under the hood. I also came up with a really nice, easy, elegant, and lightweight yet solid way to mount the battery in the trunk, so overall I feel good about the project.

But, like I said, I'm not sold on the idea: my car still weighs the same as before. Losing the weight for good would have been better. I also moved the weight farther from the center of the car, meaning it has MORE polar momentum, which kinda sucks. I'm thinking about getting a lightweight battery to put back there, and I think that's the ticket: relocate and lighten. But, another thought: put the battery right up againt the back seat. It may fit in the rear corner nicely, and it affects the weight balance more, but putting it closer to the center of the car is going to reduce your polar moment, which is very key in making a nimble car.

I ran one 4ga power wire and hooked it up with a distribution block to the hot stuff under the hood. Then I used two sheet metal screws - big ones - to bolt down the ground wires under the hood. I scraped the metal clean first, of course. I ran two grounds off the battery, one to the spare tire well, and one to some nice thick metal under the rear seat. I ran a fuse as well, but it's sort of a dumb thing: 150 amps of current is more than enough to eff something up seriously, and in order for the fuse to blow, you'd need a dead short, which isn't going to happen by accident. It's not a bad idea just in case, but it's also not a very good safeguard. With some high-po alternators, you might blow a 200A fuse just starting the car!

-Philip Maynard '95 Contour [71 STS | Track Whore] '97 Miata [71 ES | Boulevard Pimp] 2006 autocross results