Originally posted by Myrosia:
OK...I returned the Auotlite out back in the Motorcrafts.

I noticed that the OEM Motorcrafts are two different ones.

Plugs 1 & 2 are Motorcraft part # AZFS32F and 3 & 4 are part # AZFS32FE.

They told me that's why the Autolites didn't work and gave me bad gas mileage. That I have to resinstall the OEM's with the two different part #'s.

Last I knew, Ford does not sell replacement plugs identical to the factory installed plug for your engine. The reason for the two different factory installed plugs is because two of the cylinders fire in the conventional manner from the center electrode to the side wire, and two cylinders fire in reverse, from the side wire to the center electrode. Single platinum is all that is needed, but the platinum tip is on the firing element only, so two factory installed plugs will have a platinum button on the center electrode and two of them will have the platinum button on the side wire. Motorcraft replacement plugs for that engine are double platinum, with a platinum button on the side wire and the center electrode. This does two things, 1st, they don't need to stock as many part numbers, and they are "idiot proof" so the installer doesn't get them mixed up.

I have installed Autolite double platinums (I don't remember the part number) on that engine, and they were identical to the Motorcraft replacement plug and the engines ran fine. One of them, my son's car, the plugs were still fine when he sold it 80,000 miles later.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited