Originally posted by CSVT1214:
E0 and some E1 SVT's have larger calipers. Ford then switch to smaller calipers for certain 1998.5. Early 1999 models up to 5/99 went back to larger calipers again, then later models all the way up to 2000 switched back to standard calipers.

There is certainly a lot of confusion about when Ford changed calipers on the SVT. Also I'm not sure if I would call the early SVT calipers bigger, but they are different. The early and late use different pads, and the early pad does cover slightly more of the rotor toward the center so maybe that could be called bigger. The late SVT (same as non SVT) covers a longer portion of the rotor by a slight bit, so I guess that one could also be called bigger, at least in that respect.

The date of the changeover is not well documented by Ford. Their catalog says the chageover date is 6/99. A survey taken here at CEG a few years back shows that it was much earlier, perhaps as early as 2/98, which would also be the changover date of E0 to E1.

Although I have heard rumors that Ford switched back and forth, or mixed a few early style one back in after the switch, I have never been able to pin it down, and I believe that they did not.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited