Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
Thanks to Chongo for posting up this pic of the ECT, I found mine and checked it out yesterday.

I also have a new one from the dealer here.

What's on my car and the dealer part are totally different.

What I got from the dealer threads into the same place, but it has a plastic two prong plug on it.

What's on my car is a single wire that is very thick and almost looks like a mechanical guage sender like used on older cars, the ones where you had it full of amonia or mercury.

Am I looking at the wrong sensor or did I just get the wrong part from the dealer?

Thanks!
Scott

Last edited by avu3; 01/02/06 09:22 PM.
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
Maybe they sold you the one that works the temp gauge (it's by the brake booster)instead of monitoring the engine temp for the EEC?

A
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
That's interesting, could be, I didn't find another, though I did look, but not by the booster. They chiltons (yeah, I know, they're crap, but its more handy than the CD sometimes) says there is only one sensor and it feeds both.

Which also kinda baffled me, as Chongo posted that pic in response to my comment that it seemed the in car temp gauge was totally different than the computer temp.

I wonder if those two sensors are on different water paths and my Water Pump Issue caused different water flow through the car which made the temps different to the two sensors.

My car is a v6 atx, so maybe some of this stuff is only relevent on zetecs or something.

Scott

E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
If you look at the Chongo picture, directly below the two oo's (in the word coolant) in the red text "Engine Coolant Sensor", that is the sensor for the temp gauge.

A
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
A
Thanks eepals, Funny how manuals can totally blow it. I had half a mind to retype what I read in the chiltons it made so little sense.

I was kinda thinking that as I worked on it yesterday, I even unplugged it and looked at that sensor. Regardless, still wondering about the difference in what I got from the dealer and what is on the car. Headed back to exchange it later this week, will ask them as well.

Scott

E
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
E
A new Motorcraft ECT I have and didn't install has the # F5AZ-12A648-A on the box, also says DY-719.
This is for a 96, V-6

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
ECT (computer)- rectangle with 2 prongs

It's confusing because they're both called ECT's. When you buy you need to specify
whether it's for the Instrument Cluster Temp Gauge (Water Temperature Indicator Sender Unit) or the one for the Computer.
Or give them the location and they will give you the proper part.

1996 2.5LT V6 Contour ATX My Tour+help/info pics E0 rims, Gutted Pre-Cats,CTA Custom Exhaust & Intake, Diablo Chip.

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard