Originally posted by warmonger:

It is the as-new delivered condition that you must compare.
It is certainly fine to illustrate that the CSVT made 200 HP with NO TURBO five fuggin years before the SRT-4 even came out! IT is certainly fine to point out that two engines that were relatively the same displacement put out similar power only that it took a turbo for the SRT4 to hit only 12% more power. You do the math. And yes, we know what happens when you turn up the boost, but you were talking stock to stock right?

I just saw one thing in here I think needs clarification. The SRT-4 makes 230hp to the CSVTs 200hp, so yea, thats 15% more power on the same displacement. Not terribly impressive for boost. But, a big factor thats gotta be considered is torque. The SRT-4 makes 250ft/lbs, and at a very early rpm compared to the Duratec's 165ft/lbs somewhere north of 5500rpm. So, the SRT-4s got the torque department by just over 50%. That, is very signifigant. I dunno what SRT-4s run at your local tracks, but I've seen more than a couple turn 12s at all three of the tracks I've frequented, NYIRP, ESTA, and NE Dragway. NE Dragway had 5+ on a Friday night test and tune doing 12s, and that track BLOWS, traction wise. I never had trouble getting 2.2 60 foots until I ran there, where the best I could do was a 2.4. So, they are out there, and they are fast. Stock for stock the SRT-4 murders the CSVT in a straight line.

That being said, I'm with everyone else on the refinment of the rest of the CSVT. The handling is still above par for almost any car in its pricerange even today, and the braking is Phenominal. (You ought to go from a GM with TERRIBLE brakes to something like the SVT, I feel like I can stop in about half the distance as before.) The interior is nicer, its more practical, etc.

Now, the G6GTP is a lot like a modern day CSVT in a lot of ways. Powerful, advanced technology NA v6. Above average handling. Refined, not to bold styling. Nice interior. Now, whoever thinks a relatively stock CSVT can hang with the G6GTP is on crack. My modded Grand Am was good for about a 15.2-15.1, and my new stock CSVT can stay with it from a roll, but can't dream about launching like it. A G6GTP smokes the CSVT from a launch, or a roll, no doubt. Shoot, the new G6GTP should give a v8 powered GPGXP a run for its money. That 3.9 liter is pretty de-tuned as well. The original HP and TQ numbers were closer to 270, but they calmed it down some because it threatend the GP so much. Stupid thing, IMO, but thats marketing for ya.

Gosh, bench racing sure is fun.

Current Ride: 1998 Contour SVT - T-Red, Res. Delete, K&N under the hood, broken side skirt at passenger rear jackpoint. Its FOR SALE, see the classifieds.