Print Thread
Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Ok, so here's the update.

Bodyshop jacked it up. They went to sand it and it cracked. This is hard to beleive because I've been flexing it, mounting it, unmounting it, sanding it, etc, and it never cracked. Whatever, whats done is done. What really pissed me off though, is they ground down the side that cracked and started experimenting with the hotmelt stuff and trying to peel off the two-part on the back. Basicly, I have to completely redo the left side of the bumper from scratch.

So. I gave it some more thought, and tried something a little different to make sure it is as durable as its ever going to get. I started by drilling a series of 1/16" holes, about 1/8" back from the edge on both sides of the seem. Then I used the Flexible Ure-Weld that I was using to reinforce the back of the seem on the seem itself, skipping the hotmelt process (which had I had more welding rod I would have still used the hotmelt too), and applied it to both sides of the seem. Thin coat on top, but pushed it through all the little holes I drilled so it basicly will "lock" around the substrate. The result, before topping it off with filler, looks like this:

It definately feels much stronger than it was before. It really feels like one peice. It did flex a little before, but its not a real stress point on the bumper so I dont think it would've been a problem, but at least now I know it wont ever be a problem anymore. Its not going anywhere.

Having done this once before makes it easier. I just did this repair in about an hour, which is far less than it would've taken me before.

So tentatively, I'll have the filler done tonight or tomorrow, and I already confirmed with the body shop that when I bring it back on Monday morning they'll prime it that day, and paint on Tuesday.

M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
I would kill them

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Trust me, it was willpower, and not physics, that kept me from reaching through the phone and ripping his throat out. Because I would've found a way.

At least its back together now, and ready for some finish work. That makes me less angry, and back to relaxed-mild-Ryan.

J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
I have to commend you on your custom work. Looks really good. Love the pic up dates. Keep them coming!

"Do what you like, Because you have to drive it!"-Me 99 Contour LX 95 Mustang GT Convertible 97 Z24 Cavalier
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Thank you, the encouragement really helps

R
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Another update: Ready for paint (again)

I re-inforced the back side with some more two-part adhesive, sandwiching in the steel mesh on the sides between two layers of Ure-Weld:

After having some time to cool down, I have to admit that having to redo this thing might have been a blessing in disguise. It is noticably stronger than it was, and I have complete confidence in this thing now. It couldn't be any stronger even if it was one peice. The Ure-Weld really makes a nice hold.

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by rkneeshaw3.0:
After having some time to cool down

i noticed the box of corona LOL

but nice work again, and that is too bad you have to redo some of it, but like you said it may have been for the best. hope it turns out great!

kevin m 98 T-red mystique gs zetec ATX | my ride |
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Got a call from the body shop...

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Where did they break it this time?

J/K...get some damn pics up ASAP!

99 SE V6\5spd - 156 HP\157 TQ 15.166-90.84 Totaled 02/12/06 99 SVT # 1571 - 175 HP\153 TQ 14.999-91.88 Born 3/24/99 Reborn 3/18/06 Pietenpol Racing Technologies project vehicle 90 Festiva L 5spd, Blue(not for long), 103k
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
I tried to get some good pics, but the weather is so lousy out here only one turned out. Here's what I got:

Sexy stock 15"ers eh? Winter time, winter wheels/tires

Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15

Moderated by  hetfield_dup1, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard