I have to agree with the others here about buying a quick car from the start, if your most important goal is to get low 0-60's and low E.T.'s. If the numbers are that important to you, might want to get a CSVT or even a Mustang or something.

With that said, the little zetec in my 96 w/ MTX is quite peppy. The cool thing about it is that it feels like its well suited for cruising through the gears. It's actually torquey for a 4 cylinder. What I mean is that in normal to spirited driving situations, it will put a smile on your face each time you grab for that next gear. When completely floored and shifting at higher rpms, it also performs well, but this is where you will wish you had a lot more. The engine winds up and theres not much more excitment than what you find at part throttle cruising through the gears. Make no mistake, there is plenty there for passing and getting somewhere in a hurry, but if you are going to put it up against a timer, I don't think it's going to have what you're looking for.

I think the Hondas and others that you are seeing laying down the 14 and 15 sec 1/4 miles are probably similar displacement engines, but in very much lighter cars.

96 Contour GL 2.0L MTX with Early SE 7 spoke wheels, SE sideskirts, Koni Sport Kit 70 Mustang Sportsroof with mild 351W and '01 Mustang GT wheels