Originally posted by RTStabler51:
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoShoââ??¢:
I did some research and saw that Rick as a zetec FD on his SC 3l...would that be obscene enough?

By Greg's definition, of which I agree, no. 300-400 in today's world, realistically (sp?) isn't 'obscene'. In our world, although quite impressive, isn't 'obscene' in the grand scheme of things.

Agreed. His peak HP numbers are great but the torque in the low rpm range are typical of a centrifugal blower...typically low.

I for one don't really think the peak horsepower is the way to evaluate this need. It is the peak torque available in generally the lower rpm range of first gear that decides it.
I only know of one or two cars that fit this category. Me, Beyondloaded SE, Suneils car and probably some sleepers out there. The Turbo 3L torque at only 8-10 psi is well over 300-350 ft-lbs in the 3000-4000 rpm range depending on cams, turbo and compression. Very hard to keep front wheels sticking the ground with these cars.

It is the huge torque in lower rpm ranges and poor traction that would legitimize the zetec FD.
I've considered it over and over on my car but it really is a traction issue that I would rather solve with MORE traction rather than change the gearing to compensate for [censored] traction.
You NEVER see racers changing gear ratios to taller final drives unless they race at the bonneville salt flats or something like that. Everyone Else is looking for better acceleration or to match the rpm range in a certain gear with a certain style of racing...enter the Capaldi gear.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black