Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by TGO:
i tihnk the main point of this thread is letting your car warm up isn't going to adcersely effect it or make it blow up so stop worrying about it and do what you think is right.

Ok guys sorry to bring this topic back up but i finally found the info i was looking for.

the reason you get in and drive it (letting the idle settle first which should take no more than 30 sec.) is because at the colder temps it wears out the cylinder walls faster. the higher rpms will do 2 things for you.
1. it will help the engine warm up faster
2. it helps to through more oil onto the cylinder walls which helps to prevent cylinder wear.

here is a pic of the chart that shows the differant amounts of wear at different temps.

the test was run for 60 hours at each of the temps and that is the results.

again sorry to bring the topic back up again i just wanted to clarify for everyone.

97 contour gl mtx front & rear upper strut tower braces 19mm bat sway bar Koni struts w/GC knockoffs
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
nothing has been clarified...people are still going to let their cars waram up. I let my 92 expldoer warm up. The car is now 14 years old, with 140k miles on it. I'm not worried about the motor, i'm worried about my butt freezing all the way to work.

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
O
ODC Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
O
I let the idle settle in the mornings or when I haven't started it in awhile, 30sec-40secs usually. I don't punch it above 2750rpms either until the coolant guage gets warm. With the oiling problems the car has, I want to make sure the oil's nice and warm and slippery before I do any fun stuff.

I don't buy that idling for too long will ruin the car, it's a modern car -- are you telling me all those poor bastards stuck on the interstate in heavy traffic for hours are destroying their cars ?

S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by ODC:

I don't buy that idling for too long will ruin the car, it's a modern car -- are you telling me all those poor bastards stuck on the interstate in heavy traffic for hours are destroying their cars ?

no those people stuck in traffic for hours arent doing any more damage by idling because their engine is up to operating temp. its when it idles when the engine is cold that the damage is done. as to how you drive it when its cold thats perfect.

97 contour gl mtx front & rear upper strut tower braces 19mm bat sway bar Koni struts w/GC knockoffs
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard