Originally posted by striker2:
Originally posted by Rishodi:
Originally posted by striker2:
the best thing you can do is start it and drive. you actually wear off mor of the cylinder wall when the engine is cold than when its warm. the fastest way to warm it up is to drive it. however it takes the average car about 45 minutes to warm up.

45 minutes? I don't think so!! It takes maybe 2 minutes for hot air to flow through my vents in the winter after starting my car up, and it can't take too long for the engine to reach its ideal temperature after that.

the optimal operationg temp for an engine is about 210 degrees and it takes roughly 45 min to get there. the aluminium engines may warm up faster but our blocks are cast iron. when the engine is cold you actually wear about .008 off the cylinder wall for every hour idleing at that temp. you wear less than .002 off the walls when its at optimal operating temp.

Rishodi's block isn't cast iron! Neither is Kanes, Big Jim's, mine...see a pattern here???

Still, my 33 year old Chevy pickup doesn't even take 45 minutes to warm up and SBC's are VERY cold natured.

-- 1999 SVT #220 -- In retrospect, it was all downhill from here. RIP, CEG.