C'mon, you're an engineer right? They make LOTS of money.

BTW. What are you talking about??? The LC-1 is not $400. The XD-1 is $400 with the standalone kit and digital gauge.
However, the basic standalone programmable wideband LC-1 that can be tuned and operated from a laptop is only $199.00 and gives anyone wideband capability.
LC-1 from Innovate Catalog

The LC-1 has programmable outputs so you can drive your existing A/F gauge/meter with a simulated switching narrow band output or a wideband within a narrow range.
If you have the LED type you can drive it with a non switching output in a 1 volt range so that although not as sensitive or precise, Green will truly mean good and Red will truly mean bad. You can do full wideband datalogging with your laptop and dial everything in while leaving the sensor mounted in the car and then for normal driving use your less precise, cheap gauge to give you the sort of Analog indication of air fuel ratio. It also comes with a small calibration button and led to give error codes and such. I have it in my car and I use it to drive my GReddy Air Fuel gauge because the GReddy Air Fuel gauge has a much nicer numbered Analog meter that matches the gauges in the car. I leave the datalink hookup in the glove box along with the LED and calibration button.

I know you have an O2 sensor from one of your little add-on goodies because I remember you saying something about it. So you're halfway there. The LC-1 can replace an existing O2 sensor and feed the pcm the switched narrow band output while simultaneously providing wideband to a gauge. It really is a great product for the money.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black