Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
I'd prefer a little taller gearing...having to cruise at 70 or so in order to keep the revs at 3000rpm is a little boring. Oh well, another something to consider when my swap happens.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Jim, do you think I should run the Zetec FD with the stage 4 CAT cams?

Aaron

AKA NVS SVT 98.5 Silver/Blue SVT#4553 Yeah it's modded 98 T-Red/Blue SVT Contour Totaled 06/05/06 03 3L,VCN 2000,CAT Cams,MSDS Headers w/Y-Pipe,XCal2 and lots more
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Originally posted by todras:
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Honestly, I can't see a reason for it unless you're over the 300whp/wtq mark.

Better launching, keep it in 2nd doing the 1/4, fuel economy.

When I see some Zetec F/D people eclipsing my 2.13 60' time on street tires, I'll think twice about it.

Keep it in 2nd doing the 1/4? Are you drunk? Maybe the 1/8 mile!

Fuel economy..... Call me crazy but I don't build my summer/fast car to get awesome gas mileage. Besides, 1-3mpg extra isn't going to change my mind.

Mark

You can keep yours in 3rd doing the 1/4 mile just by adding 200 rpm to your rev limit and running a taller tire.
After doing the math, the taller tire I run now gave me almost the same effective final drive change as if I had changed the diff and kept stock width tires, insofar as launching goes. I needed tires anyway so I got wider and taller rubber and pretty much fixed the very difficult launching issues.
Another problem was the escape cams. They boosted the midrange torque so much with the turbo that it would rip the [censored] out of any tires I put on there whenever I broke 3000 rpm and half throttle....at 6psi. The SVT cams have a much more linear torque curve and allow a much smoother onset of power so that I can modulate the throttle. With both the tire change and going back to my SVT cams I am able to launch a heck of a lot easier now. The Zetec FD was just too expensive with all these other options to get the same effect. Now if I had it for free, then maybe I'd have done it BUT... it still will kill your hole shot where the real problem is traction.
To get the best launch you want to keep the higher ratio final drive and just improve the traction because you are putting more power to the ground that way.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
with stock gears and my 3L hybrid i didnt know what traction was! i would have loved the zetec gears with that setup, and i really want them for the turbo. too bad i cant afford it, if i find a used zetec mtx tranny for cheap ill do the upgrade.....

Russell Oval Port 3L Nearly Done MTX75 w/ Homebrew Zetec FD and Torsen Complete
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by NVS SVT:

Aaron

That's a good question. You need some input from CAT. The whole question for them is around if there will be some low end torque loss. With the additional lift and moderate increase in duration, I suspect that the slightly taller gears will be beneficial, but you really need some insight from CAT to help make that choice.

Edit:

I just reread this and realized that I may have the wrong set of cams in mind. Is this the set that pictures and specs were posted for a few weeks ago? The ones that had .266" lift and 270 degress duration (IIRC)? If it a hotter set, you may very well want to stay with the 4.06 gears. Again, you need some input from CAT.

Last edited by Big Jim; 12/03/05 02:39 AM.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D

Aaron

No. If anything you want the 4.5 Capaldi gear.
With a shorter duration and higher rpm powerband you will want to keep the engine on a boil. A taller final drive will hurt performance.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Originally posted by warmonger:
You can keep yours in 3rd doing the 1/4 mile just by adding 200 rpm to your rev limit and running a taller tire.
After doing the math, the taller tire I run now gave me almost the same effective final drive change as if I had changed the diff and kept stock width tires, insofar as launching goes.

That's exactly what I've done. I've got a wider and taller tire(60treadware doesn't hurt ) with a raised rev limiter. I haven't been back to the track with this setup, but feel that I'll be able to cut very similar 60' times, and pull 2/10 at the end of the track. I hope to pickup a mile an hour or two with the new tune. is it spring time yet?

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Originally posted by DemonSVT:

Aaron

With a shorter duration and higher rpm powerband you will want to keep the engine on a boil. A taller final drive will hurt performance.

I thought Capaldi doesn't make the gears anymore? I should really look into that then.

Jim yes I was refering to the cams that Timeless420 posted for me.

Aaron

AKA NVS SVT 98.5 Silver/Blue SVT#4553 Yeah it's modded 98 T-Red/Blue SVT Contour Totaled 06/05/06 03 3L,VCN 2000,CAT Cams,MSDS Headers w/Y-Pipe,XCal2 and lots more
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by DemonSVT:

Aaron

I thought Capaldi doesn't make the gears anymore? I should really look into that then.

Jim yes I was refering to the cams that Timeless420 posted for me.

Aaron

You need to find out from CAT what the power characteristics of that cam set are. You only want taller gears if you have an increase in low end torque. The cam specs you published might do that as they resemble an RV grind but if indeed the power band is raised without increasing the low end you will need to stay with stock gearing or try to find lower gears.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
The cams are meant to make power high in the power band is what I was told.

Aaron

Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard