Print Thread
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
S
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by todras:
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Honestly, I can't see a reason for it unless you're over the 300whp/wtq mark.

Better launching, keep it in 2nd doing the 1/4, fuel economy.

all reasons that convinced me to do it. although i didnt know about the 1/4 thing. thats just icing on the cake to me! i was keeping up with a modded 2nd gen sho at the 1/4 track until i shifted to 3rd, where he just pulled away from me payback is forthcoming!!

Originally posted by Tourgasm:
Sometimes you can mess up a word so bad that spell check doens't know what the hell you're talking about.

Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Honestly, I can't see a reason for it unless you're over the 300whp/wtq mark.

Better launching, keep it in 2nd doing the 1/4, fuel economy.

When I see some Zetec F/D people eclipsing my 2.13 60' time on street tires, I'll think twice about it.

Keep it in 2nd doing the 1/4? Are you drunk? Maybe the 1/8 mile!

Fuel economy..... Call me crazy but I don't build my summer/fast car to get awesome gas mileage. Besides, 1-3mpg extra isn't going to change my mind.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
T
I have no life
I have no life
T

Doh! 3rd. Fuel economy is just a side benefit. Not something I don't consider either. Fine don't get. No one cares. Those that have it know and love it. You can argue on the net all you want.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y

Doh! 3rd. Fuel economy is just a side benefit. Not something I don't consider either. Fine don't get. No one cares. Those that have it know and love it. You can argue on the net all you want.

Arguing? Nah, just having a conversation that Weargle can make his own decisions from. I just thought it was funny that you bring up 1/4 mile benefits when you're one of the people that feel so strongly about it not being a 1/4 mile car

For the record, I get 23mpg in city/highway mix with a lot of abuse, and 29mpg on the highway.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
For the record, I get 23mpg in city/highway mix with a lot of abuse, and 29mpg on the highway.

Mark

no you don't cause you don't have a TB.

1999 Cougar V6 MTX SVT UIM/LIM/65mm TB, I/H/E, Fidanza/SPEC III/Torsen, Koni/GC's, 19" Icon wheels w/ Pirelli rubber, NX Wet Kit
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R

Just curious, has anyone actually documented and proved that the Zetec FD actually gets better fuel mileage? I would think that the few hundred RPM difference wouldn't show that much improvement.

Additionally, has anyone proved that the Zetec FD net's beter short times and 1/4 times? I don't recall seeing any....

Ryan Trollin!
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by RTStabler51:

Just curious, has anyone actually documented and proved that the Zetec FD actually gets better fuel mileage? I would think that the few hundred RPM difference wouldn't show that much improvement.

Additionally, has anyone proved that the Zetec FD net's beter short times and 1/4 times? I don't recall seeing any....

In general theory, taller gears (3.84 compaired to 4.06) will somewhat hurt acceleration but will also someshet improve fuel consumption. There are many variables that may change that.

Also in general, running around with gears lower than needed is annoying so the tendency is to raise the gear ratio as low end torque is improved.

One true benefit of the 3.84 gear over the 4.06 if you have increased the power to benefit from it is that 0 to 60 can be accomplished with one shift (1st and 2nd gear) instead of 2 shifts (1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear).

One of the biggest issues in choosing final drive ratios is cam selection. Generally hotter grinds have less low end torque and work best with lower final drive gears. Since we don't have a lot of affordable hot cam grinds available for these engines, this won't make much difference for us.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
All I know is that with the Zetec FD I can control the wheelspin and it's limited to 2nd gear - I've yet to break it loose in 3rd even when I was at SZ and had the boost cranked, alcohol injecting and race gas. Wheels spin may be cool and fun - but getting the power to the ground is better!

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
I just thought it was funny that you bring up 1/4 mile benefits when you're one of the people that feel so strongly about it not being a 1/4 mile car

Ya got me there. I like the gearing in my SHO and wanted to duplicate it. Just seemed like I was running out of gear with my 170hp engine.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Jimbo, I understand the reasoning behind it and agree with the theory, but was just curious to see if anyone has actually proven it with this specific platform. Sounds like so far the answer is no.

Ryan Trollin!
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard