i have one of the closest svt clones here,list of parts
complete svt engine
complete svt interior(mb)
svt front sway bar
svt EO brakes
svt wheels
svt exhaust
and of course the svt body kit
....to bad my headlights give it away!!!
but the only badges i have from a svtc is the 24vH.O., which are coming off anyways....badging is ugly,period

After that all it would have been cheaper to just buy an SVT.

..it would, but why? i did all of that over a matter of a few years..plus,it just feels better to build something rather than buy already the way you like..imho ...and to be honest i only paid $600 for the eninge,brakes,sway bar,interior....nice find i guess

"Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever."-Aristophanes. --93 pgt,headers,intake,borla=14.9 1/4mile
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Well since my car was posted I'll give my side...When I started out on my project I always wanted it clear that my car is not an svt but was built with the same spirit has svt. Love for the car and to respect the svt. It is true that I have the svt badge on the trunk but I also have an svt uim, svt grilles, svt wheels, svt kit and wanted to complete the look. When I bring it to shows it is registered and known has a svt clone, I don't brag, [censored] or taint the work i have done by calling it an svt.

I would have loved to have gotten an svt but it didn't work out that way..I have worked the motor(included a dyno tune from worcester dyno)brakes, and other things in the hopes of showing my love and respect for these cars. I have a huge contour and svt contour brochure collection also.

In closing I believe it is wrong if you lie and mislead others. I have seen saleen , roush and shelby clones done rather well and lets not forget the biggest clone of all the cobra.

"we aren't punished for our sins, but by them" 2000 se sport tropic green/gray leather. V6,svt body kit and E1 wheels/Avon tech m500 rubber, many mods. 2003 Eddie Bauer Explorer V8 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S 1996 Mercury Sable
R
R_G Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Kitting - won't do myself but don't see why not
Misbadging - ghey

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
They can put any parts they want on to any Contour, Mystique, or Cougar. I do not see any issues with that.

The only thing that bugs me is "misbadged" POS's. DO NOT call it an SVT or put SVT badges (or Mondeo, SHO, Type-R, etc badges ) on it. That is utterly lame and lacking in any taste or common sense.

My favorite looking setup is the Mystiques with the SVT kit nicely molded in and an 95-97 SE lid. Those are sweet looking IMO.
My close second favorite is a clear sided SVT (98+ front end) with the 95-97 SE lid.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
SVT kits = good. Nothing looks better than ANY Contour or Mystique with a full SVT kit. That is how every Contique should look.

I have a GL. I had SVT E1 rims. A tow truck driver saw the wheels and was like "oh wow,you have a Contour SVT?!" and I was like "haha,no,just the wheels. This car is a base model GL with the V6." He was like "ooohhh.....cool." I even had the "Contour GL" emblem on the trunk.

I'll agree with doing whatever looks good,and I agree with misbadging and lying. Don't pump your junk up to be something it's not. Yeah,a Zetec ATX '98 Mystique with an SVT bodykit and FSVT wheels is a real SVT alright....

Actually,I might be in that boat. With my '95 Zetec Tour,I'll probably SVT kit it,but it's getting supercharged,so it'll be pretty quick,but I'm only doing the SVT kit for looks,because IMO,that's what I think looks best on a Contour. I'm not putting any SVT emblems on it,infact I'd prefer to find a "Zetec" emblem or decal or something to place on the trunk under or beside the Contour emblem.

People walking up to the car will be like "hey,pre98 with an SVT kit,what's under the hood? Wow,supercharged Zetec!" Now that's different!

'95 CGL ZMTX - DOB: 8/94 - Daily Driver - 271k & counting - Ractive muffler,MSD ignition coil,KEM 8mm wires,Pre98 SE 7 spoke rims,KVR CF brake pads,Post98 sail panels,Sony Xplod HU,Pioneer 3-way 6x9's '89 Mazda B2200 - Under Construction
J
jtour Offline OP
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by tour96se:
Originally posted by Tourige:
Originally posted by tour96se:
i have one of the closest svt clones here,list of parts
complete svt engine
complete svt interior(mb)
svt front sway bar
svt EO brakes
svt wheels
svt exhaust
and of course the svt body kit
....to bad my headlights give it away!!!
but the only badges i have from a svtc is the 24vH.O., which are coming off anyways....badging is ugly,period

After that all it would have been cheaper to just buy an SVT.

..it would, but why? i did all of that over a matter of a few years..plus,it just feels better to build something rather than buy already the way you like..imho ...and to be honest i only paid $600 for the eninge,brakes,sway bar,interior....nice find i guess

Wow killer deal, I have been debating on if I should build my car or if I should buy an svt. The way I look at it for me is to buy an svt. Cause it will cost me about $1000 to get the kit. Another $1000 to get it painted and I still have to do the engine mods. Thats at least a good $3500 dollars that I can put down on a real SVT. But if I come across a killer deal like yours I would have to be crazy to pass it up.

"Do what you like, Because you have to drive it!"-Me 99 Contour LX 95 Mustang GT Convertible 97 Z24 Cavalier
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Ok, we all agree that SVT kitting is good as long as you leave the badges off. Especially if you are trying to sell the car. That would be a law suit waiting to happen.

What about this one.

What if someone has a CSVT and blew up the engine, so they put a zetec engine in it?

1998 Contour SVT Black w/ Blue interior Torsen LSD updated shiftforks Lightened Flywheel, HD Drivelines Optimized Thottle Body 2003 3.0L engine upgrade (Soon to be)
X
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
X
Originally posted by Bugzuki:
Ok, we all agree that SVT kitting is good as long as you leave the badges off. Especially if you are trying to sell the car. That would be a law suit waiting to happen.

What about this one.

What if someone has a CSVT and blew up the engine, so they put a zetec engine in it?

Not exactly possible/practicle. There would be way too much work to swap it in. thats why you dont see any Zetecs swapping in the Duratecs. Cheaper to buy another SVT.

Originally posted by Chickens:
Religion can't do much for ashholes (unless you are an alterboy)

98.5 Se w/SVT mods 98 E0 SVT~ sold
S
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by jtour:
And some people may beat a "fake svt" and think that SVT's are slow. We knowing that if it was a real SVT there wouldnt be even a chance of them wining. So how do you people feel about this issue?

How fast do you think a CSVT is? Who was racing that there wounldn't be even a chance of them winning? You do realize there are faster cars than CSVTs right? Before you jump down my throat I love CSVTs, but I know there are a lot faster cars on the street. Is my SE faster than a CSVT? No, but I am sure my 91 GTI is faster than most. There will always be someone faster than you. Oh and street racing is stupid.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:
Originally posted by jtour:
And some people may beat a "fake svt" and think that SVT's are slow.

Not that I have an svt badge on my car, but to the average joe, they see the svt bodykit and think its an svt. I could turn what you said around and say that SVT's give me a bad name because they make me look slow. It could go either way.

People mistake my car for an SVT, even though it's the wrong year and has none of the SVT body work, and says "Contour SE" on the back.

It's shiny, has aftermarket wheels and two exhaust tips, and sits a bit low. I guess I can understand the confusion.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard