ok everything is on except the upper mount and a few brackets, why put the mount on if timing is off. Anyways drained the oil, and this is no exageration, but oil filter was like a lead weight alittle coolant came out, no oil, undid the oil pan plug and coolant came out , and then it was like hot fudge coming out of the oil pan. SO drain the pan, put in a quart of lucas oil, and 3.75 quarts of oil, turn it over to prime the motor. Rechecked everything, Getting spark, fuel pump is turning on as well you can hear the relays click, compression is good, check engine light does go off when the engine cranks, so the crank and cam sensor are working, new water pump, new timing belt, new gaskets for the upper end of the engine. Plan is once motor is running get it operating temperature to lossen up the crap in the motor and drain and put fresh stuff in. But the car still wont start. The firing order, I found is
1-4-3-2 Got that off of about.com, and autozone repair area. On the coil its still original, and thats marked for the cylinders, so we know the wires are correct. Now here is the question I have on the crank pulley there is 2 notches. the notch closest to the holes on the pulley is the correct one to line up to on timing correct? Or is it the second notch? The diagrams we saw shows closest to the holes in the balancer. Lining up to the bottom edgee of the pointer on the block. Making sure cylinder one is TDC. Which it is based on the notch closest to the 3 holes in the balncer/pulley. We cranked the engine over , still refuses to start. Getting fuel to the plugs because we took out the plug 1 and 3 and they were both wet with fuel. Not enough fuel pressure? Bad gas? I do not know how long the car has been sitting i failed to ask that but it is a full tank in the car. But my hunch is since I havent grabbed the fuel pressure tester yet, if pump is turning on and plugs are getting fuel, and there is spark. Fuel system is fine. But who knows, i mean look where the pcv valve is on these motors . So it leads me to believe its possible the timing isnt correct. Using the wrong notch on the balancer is my guess. I just hope the pickup isnt clogged on the oil pump cause of that sludge i saw coming out of the motor. . So Im kind of clueless now to as why its not firing but I am leaning towards timing is off. But I really dont think it is but, one never knows since these motors are super sensitive to timing. When they run good, they run great, when they are under the weather, well you all know how the Zetec's get. Am i over looking the obvious? As the journey continues to solve this bizarre mystery. OH before I forget, There is a sense by the pcvb valve that goes into the tranny, I do not kn ow what sensor it is or whats its purpose but that connector to that sensor is destroyed. Anyone know what that sensor is? I was thinking something to do with Traction control if the car has it, havent looked yet. Maybe one of you can shed some light on it. I know I need to replace the connector going to the coolant sensor, wires are frayed by the connector and that one going to a non removable sensor going to the trans. Just like to hear the car fire so I can determine if I have to put new bearings in the bottom end. Thanks for your time