Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
I have been doing a lot of research on data aquisition and guage readouts and was just wondering what gauges are you boosted guys running and why?

I have my eyes on a couple of set of "Dual Guages" by SPA Technique: http://www.spatechnique.com/dualgauges/dualgauges.htm

Since I will be building my turbo kit myself, I'm obviously interested in the Boost/EGT kit that they offer. However, it's pricey at $423.99, BUT ... there is always a but ... you get two gauges in one (save space and wiring runs) and a wideband O2 (I think, I need to call and ask).

I'm also interested in the following "dual" gauges as well:

"Water Temperature/Oil Temperature" $233.19
&
"Fuel Pressure/Oil Pressure" $328.59

If I where to get all three guage sets, the cost would be extremely high (at $985.77, I think so ), but would cover all my bases (except volts). That's a lot of money, but considering the same "single" guage equivilants and senders would cost quite a bit more I would think. Your thoughts?

Edit: Forgot to add ... keep in mind that this will be in a track car, so I need most of the information handy.

Last edited by fastcougar; 11/16/05 11:32 PM.
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Here is what I run:

Boost
EGT
A/F
Intake air temperature x2 channels.

I use the two channel intake air temperature gauge to monitor before and after my intercooler core. I love it and it is probably my most important gauge,or equal with EGT.
Intake air temp is a direct relation to detonation resistance and therefore timing.
Boost guage isn't that big of a deal honestly if you are running stock wastegate pressures, only if you are running high above it. It is important but I'd categorize them in this order:

--IAT (direct measurement of incoming air temp, indicator for potential to pull timing, detonation, air density)
--EGT (direct measurement of combustion temps, indirect for fuel mixture, boost, etc)
--Oil Pressure (direct pressure)
--Boost (direct boost measurement)
--Fuel Pressure (direct fuel pressure, can indicate potential to run lean or fuel delivery issues)
--Oil temp (indirect measurement of approaching engine operating limits due to high temps from high boost, insufficient or substandard coolant efficiency, etc)
--A/F (once it is set, it isn't something you look at and unless its wideband it is only an indicator anyway. Fuel, egt and IAT suffice for it)

You've already got a temp gauge, just learning where it sets when everything is normal is good enough. MY temp gauge has never moved, even with the turbo in Arizona during the summer (with SVT cooling system of course). I wouldn't worry about a second coolant temp gauge.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
K
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
K
Mine always ran a tad hot in the middle of summer(read 110+). It was borderline for me, but what were my options really? I've never heard of an aftermarket Contour radiator.

2001 Lincoln LS8 1994 Lexus GS300
I
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
I
Defi's......you saw my post over on neco about them. Very accurate and popular.....and beautiful to boot

I'm running Boost, EGT, and soon to have oil and fuel pressure. And im also running AEM UEGO Wideband O2 Guage as well

Cougar is no more, parts for sale. Built escape 3.0 w/ 8.5:1 pistons, PnP heads, ovalport/mazda6 cams, SVT manifolds, the works entire car for sale PM me if you want a part!!!
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Well, Phoenix is just straight out HOTTER that Tucson!
They usually run 5-10 degrees hotter on average and then you have the huge heat Island effect. That probably wasn't all that bad to run a tad higher than normal. I guess your car really was more of the 'heat' tester daily driver than mine since I went all over really and was usually in temps of 100-105 rather than 110-115 like you had.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
I forgot to say that those guages are awefully nice. I like the dual readouts because of how much information you get. I'm still an analog gauge guy though so I'd prever two mini needles, one from the top and one from the bottom but those digital gauges actually look quite nice. They are also definitely easy to read.
I think I'll be looking into those for my Volvo S40.

Link Copied to Clipboard