Print Thread
Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15
#1422956 11/04/05 02:10 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
Does Anyone Here Understand What Is Going On Here???

God knows I don't! Instead Of Answering His Questions You Just Spit Back With Accusations And More Questions. Seems Kind Of Fishy To Me, But Maybe That's Just The Way You Do Business.

Originally posted by Buddy Palumbo:

I have yet to see a promo that made me want to spend my hard earned money to buy a ticket , and I LOVE a good action movie .

I think I understand you partially here. The trailers really haven't shown much "action" and I don't think it really is going to be chock full of it. I think this movie is more narrative of his time in Desert Storm, and as I recall from the book, it was mostly griping about sitting around waiting for the WMD's and "Mother of all Wars". But I also think that coming from the director of American Beauty, it's going to be worth seeing, if not for the action, then to at least hear this Marines story, despite that it's been "Hollywized".

Originally posted by Ice992:

Im a Marine...

C'mon Ice! You earned the right to be a Marine with a capital M.

On topic- Jarhead- the book, was hilarious to read as an ENLISTED Marine, Officers, unless prior enlisted, will never understand... Its well known by the enlisted, its two entirely different worlds. It was hilarious b/c I remember the bootcamp chapter in the book, and I remember it really being that way, not to mention the accounts of their free time and what happened while overseas, was all pretty congruent with how enlisted marines really act while under the pressures of war... All in all, I really hope this movie is true to the book...

It's pretty well known among any Marine, officer or enlisted. The difference I've seen is that most officers find the book slightly offensive, but still worth reading. Why do you say that officer's will "never" understand? Are they not out there with you everyday? Are they making less of a sacrifice to be out there because they've got a degree and done a minimum 10 weeks OCS, 6 months TBS, and whatever MOS training had to be done? I just don't understand why there is such a 'rivalry' between officers and enlisted. In my mind, and hopefully this is what my actions show when I am assigned my squadron, an officer is there for the enlisted. He serves them just as much as they serve him and respect/loyalty should go both ways. Of course, I'm not yet in the Corps, but I'd like to think that my ideals will stand when that happens. I'm not trying to give you a "Your wrong, I'm right" speech by any means, just trying to get a better picture of why and how things are while in duty. I have the utmost respect for you and any enlisted military, Marine or not, so understand that I'm not trying to attack you, just get a more clear picture of the situation.

Oh and I couldn't get worked covered last night, so I'll be seeing it later today.

Last edited by PlatoSVT; 11/04/05 02:12 PM.

* Marine Officer Candidate * My Cardomain Page 1998 EO Black SVTC #3388
#1422957 11/04/05 02:16 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by PlatoSVT:

It's pretty well known among any Marine, officer or enlisted. The difference I've seen is that most officers find the book slightly offensive, but still worth reading. Why do you say that officer's will "never" understand? Are they not out there with you everyday? Are they making less of a sacrifice to be out there because they've got a degree and done a minimum 10 weeks OCS, 6 months TBS, and whatever MOS training had to be done? I just don't understand why there is such a 'rivalry' between officers and enlisted. In my mind, and hopefully this is what my actions show when I am assigned my squadron, an officer is there for the enlisted. He serves them just as much as they serve him and respect/loyalty should go both ways. Of course, I'm not yet in the Corps, but I'd like to think that my ideals will stand when that happens. I'm not trying to give you a "Your wrong, I'm right" speech by any means, just trying to get a better picture of why and how things are while in duty. I have the utmost respect for you and any enlisted military, Marine or not, so understand that I'm not trying to attack you, just get a more clear picture of the situation.

Oh and I couldn't get worked covered last night, so I'll be seeing it later today.

You are not in the FMF yet. There is a HUGE difference in Enlisted and Officers. Lifestyle and treatment. Like I told you in PM, the majority of Officers don't understand the Enlisted man and/or respect them enough. They basically think they (the officer) are at a 'higher level.' Typically teh best Officer is prior Enlisted. I hope your wanting to learn and understand the Enlisted man carries over to your time in the Corps. It will make you a better officer. Time will tell.

It would be interesting to get Tom's take on it since he's been on both sides in different services....

Ryan Trollin!
#1422958 11/04/05 02:54 PM
I
I
Does Anyone Here Understand What Is Going On Here???

God knows I don't! Instead Of Answering His Questions You Just Spit Back With Accusations And More Questions. Seems Kind Of Fishy To Me, But Maybe That's Just The Way You Do Business.

Originally posted by Buddy Palumbo:

I have yet to see a promo that made me want to spend my hard earned money to buy a ticket , and I LOVE a good action movie .

I think I understand you partially here. The trailers really haven't shown much "action" and I don't think it really is going to be chock full of it. I think this movie is more narrative of his time in Desert Storm, and as I recall from the book, it was mostly griping about sitting around waiting for the WMD's and "Mother of all Wars". But I also think that coming from the director of American Beauty, it's going to be worth seeing, if not for the action, then to at least hear this Marines story, despite that it's been "Hollywized".

Im a Marine...

C'mon Ice! You earned the right to be a Marine with a capital M.

On topic- Jarhead- the book, was hilarious to read as an ENLISTED Marine, Officers, unless prior enlisted, will never understand... Its well known by the enlisted, its two entirely different worlds. It was hilarious b/c I remember the bootcamp chapter in the book, and I remember it really being that way, not to mention the accounts of their free time and what happened while overseas, was all pretty congruent with how enlisted marines really act while under the pressures of war... All in all, I really hope this movie is true to the book...

You want to be a good Marine Officer? When you take over a platoon, company, division whatever you end up the OIC of, best way to start off, is do nothing... sit back, take 2-4 weeks, and honestly learn your marines, get to know them as PEOPLE, not as officer to enlisted, enlisted have a grudge against officers due to the holier than thou complex most have. In my MOS, I dont have to worry about it as much, bc without me, the officer doesnt get to fly his jet that day... I control all the support equipment/test equipment for the squadron... and in an airwing environment, the officers quickly learn just how important the enlisted who maintain his multimillion dollar toy...

Your values sound good... but the corps changes people... and TBS will change you, you may never see it but others will... Every enlisted has had the OIC whom was their best friend and they'd bend over backwards to put out and get things done for their OIC in return... then everyone has had the a hole whom nobody liked and nobody would do a thing extra to help their oic out... beleive me, you want to be the first of the two, this is why the enlisted to officer are the best officers 8 out of 10... B/C they have experianced both sides of this, and tend to emulate the better of the two... Just food for thought...

-Dan If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
#1422959 11/04/05 02:55 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Are you a Plane Captain, Dan?

Ryan Trollin!
#1422960 11/04/05 09:11 PM
I
I
Originally posted by Viva El Todras!:
Are you a Plane Captain, Dan?

actually i orginally was Flight Crew... but Im now an IMRL manager

-Dan If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
#1422961 11/04/05 09:27 PM
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by UnBan Barge!!!!!�®:
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
I wouldn't go all crazy over the Osprey....lots of $$$$ no results....as of yet.

For sure.. Right now thats thing ranks right up there with the commanche in my book....

Ok. Don't go there on the whole Army Aviation thing! Or the Marines for that matter.

The comanche is a badass aircraft that costs too damn much money. There isn't anything wrong with it....or course they wouldn't know that since they got it all developed then decided it was too expensive to buy right now while at war. The 5 billion dollar project would have paid for all the development and testing and about 100 aircraft or something like that. THe scrapped it at the 3 billion dollar point and with the remaining 2 billion were able to upgrade every other aircraft in the Army fleet plus buy new models of existing aircraft. Economically it makes sense but seems like such a waste. Well, at least the technology is there for the future. I really wanted to fly that thing too.

Now I'll just have to make do with an Apache Longbow. Yes, it is official. I was selected for the AH64D.

Thinks:
<eat crow AF and Navy biotches >
waits a moment then thinks:
<Hmm. How easy is it to pop up from behind a tree when a ChairForce plane goes over and put a seeking missile up its butt? >

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
#1422962 11/04/05 09:29 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by warmonger:

Now I'll just have to make do with an Apache Longbow. Yes, it is official. I was selected for the AH64D.

Congrats! Want anything from the assembly line? Going out to it next month ;-)

Ryan Trollin!
#1422963 11/04/05 09:40 PM
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by jthursby:
Originally posted by Jeb Hoge:
Originally posted by jthursby:

The F-22 isn't operatonal yet, so I don't consider that one in the discussion :-P.

Talk to some of the test pilots on that program, oh, sorry most of them were killed flight testing the POS.
it's nickname is the "twin-rotor marine mauler". I'll fly about anything and I wouldn't touch that thing.

Do you not read, or are you just so much of a wannabe that you can't even tell a Raptor from an Osprey? And oooh, you have a friend who worked on a flight sim, so that makes you more in the know than me, who's talked to the program director while standing inside one of the airframes? Nice try.

Wasn't trying anything. It's a POS but the Marines love it because it's fast. It will kill Marines fast too. I've got logged (read signed in my logbook)C5A Galaxy sim time. What's that mean about my knowledge of a C5A? Jack shizit. Wannabe that azzhole.

Jim

Before you add your worthless .02, read my posts more carefully in discussion the OV-22....

Yep, despite the fact that I think jthursby is very confused on the difference between a jet and tilt rotor, let's still consider the very obvious fact that the Marines have put it into full production. I'm sure they did so without care or caution of what that could mean for the grunts riding it.

Obviously there are going to be alot of reservations about this airplane, as I said earlier, it's an entirely new type of aircraft, and MUCH testing (testing=failures, no way around it) has had to go into developing it. But due to the simple nature of TESTING, the plane has become a stout pig in the skies, or the Marines wouldn't be trusting their own in it. C'mon at least try and have some faith in the decisions of the higher-ups, even if this plane had some rocky starts, which is inevitable in this situation.

EDIT: Some good info from a website mostly composed of the guys that actually do the flying out there, might want to give it a search or two and read up. If these guys (the pilots OF the Osprey) are pretty confident in the machine, I'll trust it. AirWarriors

Exactly. THe Blackhawk used to be known as the LawnDart back in its early days as the rear stabilizor wing would just randomly go down driving the helicopter into the ground. Deaths, testing, fixing and now its the greatest thing since sliced bread!
AFter Blackhawk down so many people want to fly one of those now.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
#1422964 11/04/05 09:44 PM
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
I'm A Marine "Grunt", "Groundpounder", "Bullet Catcher", "Human Shield", "Jarhead", "Leatherneck", If You Will, And Id Never Be Caught Anywhere Near That GD Osprey!! It Is A Great Theoretical Piece Of Machinery, But The Inherent Liabilities That Come With Deploying That Thing In A Combat Scenario Are Disgusting! I Would Rather Hump 30 Miles Into A Combat Zone Than Ride The 15 Minutes It Would Take In That Piece!!! There's Something Wrong With Landing That Craft Anywhere Near A Combat Zone Making The Transition From Forward Facing Rotor To Overhead. God!!!! Think About How Much Time An Enemy Would Have To Engage You! You Could Get Shot Down With Small Arms Fire Much Less Some Sort Of Rocket Or RPG!!! If It Were Up To Me Id Live With The Blisters On My Feet!

To Address The Movie:
If You Havent Read The Book, Dont Assume This Has Some Sort Of Political Agenda To It...It Doesn't. It Is Solely About A Marines Experiences/Confusions/Inner Demons/And Overcoming Mental Obstacles!
In Short He Really Didn't Know What He Was Getting Himself Into When He Joined. (As Most Any Marine Will Tell You Is The Case, Especially If You're An Infantry MOS)

You aren't/weren't the only one.
Hehehe And you would TOO be caught in it if you were still honoring your oath, if they assured you it was fixed. A true Marine will do his duty despite the fears.

#1422965 11/04/05 09:47 PM
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by Viva El Todras!:
Originally posted by warmonger:

Congrats! Want anything from the assembly line? Going out to it next month ;-)

Umm yeah sure! I'm a packrat so I'll take one of them widget thingymabobbies in case one of mine goes out during flight.

Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard