No, he can spell, you can't.

Ryan Trollin!
#1422947 11/03/05 08:43 PM
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
There's Something Wrong With Landing That Craft Anywhere Near A Combat Zone Making The Transition From Forward Facing Rotor To Overhead. God!!!! Think About How Much Time An Enemy Would Have To Engage You! You Could Get Shot Down With Small Arms Fire Much Less Some Sort Of Rocket Or RPG!!!

You're telling me that standard operating procedure is for troop-carrying helos now to fly into the thick of enemy fire to disgorge troops? Or that a CH-46 is more survivable than an Osprey? For that matter, how do YOU know what the mission profile for an Osprey is if they haven't even been put into production, let alone formed into squadrons to train and develop tactics? Come on, use your brain for more than a cushion for your helmet.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
#1422948 11/03/05 11:10 PM
P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Nice Jeb!!!LOL!!

Merely Stating That If The Need Were To Arise To Insert Troops In A Combat Zone...Reported "Hot" Or Not That There Is A Lot To Be Worried About...Of Course Id Rather Ride In On Helo Ass!!! That's A No-Brainer!! Do You Not See The Point I Am Making??

I Realize The Overall Development Of This Aircraft Is To Deploy From Ship Or Short Make Shift Runways...But Why Do You Think The Marines Are Wanting To Employ This Thing. Its To Deploy Troops Into Areas Where Time Is Of The Essence! Can You Honestly Tell Me That This Craft Will Never Put Troops On The Ground In An Area That May Be Considered Hostile??? If So Then I Question Your Thought Process Within The Military.

And Secondly: Since When Did The Idea Behind The Osprey Come To Being Able To Stop On A Dime??? Think Logically Here. What Is Going To Be The Better Option: Land A Bulky Tilt-Rotor Plane Near A Combat Zone Or Land A More Agile CH-46/CH-43 Near A Combat Zone??

What Are You Thinking The Overall Purpose Of This Craft Is Jeb?? Do You honestly Believe The U.S. Gov't Is Just Out To Spend Money??? [sarcasm/on] Surely Not!![sarcasm/off]

CSVT E0 3L 14.5 @ 94mph, Stock Intake, Stock Exhaust minus Resonator, CEL, And Broken Pass. Side CV...Untuned.
#1422949 11/03/05 11:17 PM
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Why Do You Capitalize The First Letter Of Every Word?

- Tim
#1422950 11/04/05 01:00 AM
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
I'm really starting to believe you might not be a Marine, or at least not a very bright one. An Osprey will NEVER operate in a vacuum. If there are surface-to-air threats that might endanger it, those threats will be attacked by Hornets, by Harriers, and by SuperCobras, probably in that order. If the threat on the ground is still significant enough to endanger a trooplifter coming in to land, then you really don't want to be dumping out squads of Marines, no matter how gung-ho they are. You'll keep pounding the target zone from the air or you'll run in a platoon of tanks or LAVs to provide some heavier ground forces, and if you're doing that, then your troops can ride in on the LCACs with the armor. You don't expose your cargo assets to hostile fire EVER if you can avoid it, and if you have to, you don't send them in naked and dumb.

But that seems to be just what you think is going to happen. Am I mistaken?

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
#1422951 11/04/05 12:13 PM
P
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
P
Are You Even In The Military Jeb??? If So Then I Would Like To Know The Branch That You Joined. Apparently It Is An AllKnowing One. If Intelligence Were So Accurate Then We Would Never Be In War!!! There Will ALways Be Some Enemy Or Insurgent That Gets By Somewhere!!! What Kind Of Reality Are You Living In??? Does Anyone Here Understand What Is Going On Here???

Anyway...I Still Cant Wait For This Movie To Come Out!!!

CSVT E0 3L 14.5 @ 94mph, Stock Intake, Stock Exhaust minus Resonator, CEL, And Broken Pass. Side CV...Untuned.
#1422952 11/04/05 01:05 PM
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
I wouldn't go see that movie , even if I had a free pass & a limo took me to the theater ... or if it was playing in my living room and they duct-taped my arse into my recliner & force-fed me Junior Mints .

I have yet to see a promo that made me want to spend my hard earned money to buy a ticket , and I LOVE a good action movie .

~~~~~~~ Phil Black & Tan 2000 SVT Contour #2137 of 2150 35,000 miles & counting !
#1422953 11/04/05 01:08 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Are You Even In The Military Jeb??? If So Then I Would Like To Know The Branch That You Joined. Apparently It Is An AllKnowing One. If Intelligence Were So Accurate Then We Would Never Be In War!!! There Will ALways Be Some Enemy Or Insurgent That Gets By Somewhere!!! What Kind Of Reality Are You Living In??? Does Anyone Here Understand What Is Going On Here???

Anyway...I Still Cant Wait For This Movie To Come Out!!!

Genius, intelligence isn't there to prevent wars, that has NEVER been its purpose.

Ryan Trollin!
#1422954 11/04/05 01:21 PM
I
I
Originally posted by Jeb Hoge:
There's Something Wrong With Landing That Craft Anywhere Near A Combat Zone Making The Transition From Forward Facing Rotor To Overhead. God!!!! Think About How Much Time An Enemy Would Have To Engage You! You Could Get Shot Down With Small Arms Fire Much Less Some Sort Of Rocket Or RPG!!!

You're telling me that standard operating procedure is for troop-carrying helos now to fly into the thick of enemy fire to disgorge troops? Or that a CH-46 is more survivable than an Osprey? For that matter, how do YOU know what the mission profile for an Osprey is if they haven't even been put into production, let alone formed into squadrons to train and develop tactics? Come on, use your brain for more than a cushion for your helmet.

Funny you should say that... Im a marine... stationed @ Cherry Point NC... we have Ospreys landing here almost daily... the are in production now, and they do have a training squadron formed at MCAS New River, NC...

Are you military? Alexandria, VA... you navy?

On topic- Jarhead- the book, was hilarious to read as an ENLISTED Marine, Officers, unless prior enlisted, will never understand... Its well known by the enlisted, its two entirely different worlds. It was hilarious b/c I remember the bootcamp chapter in the book, and I remember it really being that way, not to mention the accounts of their free time and what happened while overseas, was all pretty congruent with how enlisted marines really act while under the pressures of war... All in all, I really hope this movie is true to the book...

-Dan If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
#1422955 11/04/05 01:33 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Ice992:
Originally posted by Jeb Hoge:

Funny you should say that... Im a marine... stationed @ Cherry Point NC... we have Ospreys landing here almost daily... the are in production now, and they do have a training squadron formed at MCAS New River, NC...

Are you military? Alexandria, VA... you navy?

On topic- Jarhead- the book, was hilarious to read as an ENLISTED Marine, Officers, unless prior enlisted, will never understand... Its well known by the enlisted, its two entirely different worlds. It was hilarious b/c I remember the bootcamp chapter in the book, and I remember it really being that way, not to mention the accounts of their free time and what happened while overseas, was all pretty congruent with how enlisted marines really act while under the pressures of war... All in all, I really hope this movie is true to the book...

I still wouldn't trust the Osprey, at least right now. I remember in my time there were the maintenance issues/scandals whatever you want to call it. Hopefully they have the transition issue 'fixed'. I think eventually it will be a great platform, but I don't think it will ever be able to replace the insertion capability of a CH-53 or 46. But that's just me.

Ryan Trollin!
Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard