Print Thread
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
#1422906 10/28/05 05:31 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Jeb Hoge:
Get caught up, kids. The F/A-22 is indeed operational; the first squadron is the 27th FS at Langley AFB and they're already going on training deployments. And the V-22 is going into full-scale production now, so there should be a squadron of those in operation before too long.

I didn't think the F-22 was to become operational 'til 07. I guess when you have an unlimited budge as the AF does, things move quicker.

I still think the Osprey needs lots of work; at least from previous readigns about it. I know I wouldn't want to fly on one!

Ryan Trollin!
#1422907 10/28/05 05:31 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by SteedaSVT:

and it was the EF-111 Ryan...

that's what I meant, just did't hit the 1 button enough. :-)

Ryan Trollin!
#1422908 10/28/05 05:33 PM
S
Captain Impound Boy
Captain Impound Boy
S
Originally posted by RTStabler51:

and it was the EF-111 Ryan...

that's what I meant, just did't hit the 1 button enough. :-)

Lets just say the B-1b could become the next EF-111 but i dno't think it will ever see that role.. Its pretty much the same plane except larger and can carry more weapons

theres also a couple EW f-16's around, they don't see much action though

#1422909 10/28/05 05:41 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P

I still think the Osprey needs lots of work; at least from previous readigns about it. I know I wouldn't want to fly on one!

Interesting article I just found follows; Whether it still needs work or not, it's going into production! I dunno, I'm getting the feeling that although the V-22 has had many development failures, it's almost an entirely new type of aircraft, as far as integrating other types of flight into one craft. To be expected, and I'm sure they've worked most of the bugs out if they're trusting them enough to put Marines on when they start coming out of production..

US Navy confirms V-22 incident, denies danger

By Andrea Shalal-Esa
Reuters
Tuesday, October 25, 2005; 8:25 PM

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - An incident involving a V-22 tiltrotor aircraft has prompted charges by a watchdog group that it cannot fly through clouds, but the U.S. Navy denies the engines stalled or that the crew was in danger.

The Project On Government Oversight (POGO) said it had learned from unnamed sources that both engines of the Air Force version of the V-22, or Osprey, had stalled last week after flying into a cloud at 18,000 feet, presumably because of ice.

V-22 program office spokesman James Darcy confirmed an incident involving icing took place on October 18 when the CV-22 aircraft - the name of the Air Force version -- was en route to Edwards Air Force Base, California for systems testing -- prompting an unscheduled landing in Prescott, Arizona.

But he denied that either engine stalled out and said the crew was never in any danger: "The POGO report is completely false. The aircraft was never out of controlled flight, the engines never lost power, the landing was precautionary."

The Pentagon last month approved full-rate production of the Marine Corps version of the V-22, which takes off and lands like a helicopter but can fly like a plane. It is built by Textron Inc. unit Bell Helicopter and Boeing Co..

Eric Miller, investigator with POGO, said the incident was troubling, despite the Navy's denials.

"This is very disturbing," he said. Only last month the Pentagon approved the Marines version of V-22 for full-rate production. And now we find out the aircraft can't even fly into a cloud."

Darcy said the CV-22 -- a prototype that was not equipped with the de-icing equipment that will be standard on operational aircraft -- began flying on instruments after hitting severe thunderstorms and icing conditions.

He said an investigation was still underway, but early data showed that some ice was sucked into the engines, prompting the digital engine controller to cycle the engines through several recovery modes, although they never stalled.

He said the MV-22, the Marine Corp version just cleared for full production, had been through two five-month periods of de-icing tests, with another round due to begin in November.

The program office had not yet issued a flight clearance for the de-icing equipment because it needed to test it under further environmental conditions, Darcy said, noting that most Navy helicopters do not have de-icing equipment.

He said the equipment should be flight-cleared in time for operational use of the V-22s, scheduled for September 2007.

The Air Force plans to buy 50 CV-22's to replace its fleet of MH-53J Pave Low helicopters used to insert and extract special operations force from enemy areas. Operational tests of the CV-22 are planned for late next year.

The Air Force version of the V-22 is modified for longer flights with advanced radar that should improve night operations and low altitude flights in bad weather.

* Marine Officer Candidate * My Cardomain Page 1998 EO Black SVTC #3388
#1422910 10/28/05 05:42 PM
S
Captain Impound Boy
Captain Impound Boy
S
sign me up to fly that heap!! Way to many problems still IMHO... The F-22 is gonna be bad for anyone

and if you ever get to go to red Flag Its a blast!!!!!!!! Theres some major planing that goes into it.

I still remember one day sending out a b-2 at like 11pm it flew around for a while and at day break There where no Red Team Planes left. I have a Video on my laptop at home that used to be classified its not anymore of the Strike Capabilities of the B-2 with 80 Jdams on it.

Im talkin like putting a 500lb bomb in the window of a Jeep.. Rather insane!

#1422911 10/28/05 05:47 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
sign me up to fly that heap!!

And that's why you're in the Air Farce.

(I've got no more Air Force insults after that, so please don't make me back that up)

Last edited by PlatoSVT; 10/28/05 05:48 PM.

#1422912 10/28/05 05:48 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Don't get me wrong, it can fly. Its the transitional period that would scare me and where it seems to have its biggest issues.

Ryan Trollin!
#1422913 10/28/05 05:50 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Don't get me wrong, it can fly. Its the transitional period that would scare me and where it seems to have its biggest issues.

But if you'll recall, they were just as afraid to put the Harrier into action back in the 70's. Things turned out(kinda) once it saw duty, but people were VERY wary of trusting it's capabilities. More so with the Osprey now, because it will be carrying so much cargo/grunts.

#1422914 10/28/05 05:53 PM
S
Captain Impound Boy
Captain Impound Boy
S
Originally posted by PlatoSVT:
sign me up to fly that heap!!

And that's why you're in the Air Farce.

Was in the air force

#1422915 10/28/05 05:55 PM
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
OMG. I read that POGO report and the "watchdog" is a choad. He's totally out of his depth. This is a case of a guy with a little knowledge of the V-22 program history finding out about an unscheduled, non-emergency landing of a non-production model and that there was some icing and went into full-presumption mode. The POGO report doesn't even have any corroboration...only "sources say"-type references and a few quotes from an old report.

http://www.pogo.org/p/defense/da-051001-v22.html

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard