Print Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
#1422866 10/28/05 07:21 AM
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Anyone else counting the days until this movie opens? The first preview I saw got me hooked, and each one following it adds another boost of enthusiasm. Jarhead has been the first movie I've been highly anticipating since Batman Begins. I didn't think it'd be possible for any war movie succeeding Saving Private Ryan to live up to it, but this one looks like it has a good chance. It appears to have been finely casted as well. As much as I've disliked Jamie Foxx and every movie he's starred in to date, his character too seems interesting, and I'm looking forward to his part in the movie.

Can't wait...

Chris G. ~ 98 Mystique LS ATX
#1422867 10/28/05 09:45 AM
H
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
H
I bought the book a few years ago and loved it. So what if they are jarheads...Go Army

1998.5 CSVT Black/Midnight blue 4895 of 6535 DOB Feb 28, 1998 Kanuberized Nightshade Tails 17 inch RS5s http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2064434/1
#1422868 10/28/05 01:13 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Eh, I dunno. As a Marine Officer Candidate, I'm not so sure. The book was mainly from a grunts perspective who didn't exactly enjoy his time in the Corps. Many of his stories in the book are urban myths among the Marines that he pooled together to form a first person perspective of them. So, I do think it will be a good, well acted, well performed movie, but I don't think it's going to be a positive outlook on the war or Marines. Somewhat similar to Blackhawk Down, in where it was a very well put together movie, but all in all, it's message about the war and adminstrative direction during the war was pretty depressing. But at the same time, it's uplifting to see that there are such brave men over there fighting every day. As the Delta said, "At the end of the day, you're just fighting for the man next to you."

* Marine Officer Candidate * My Cardomain Page 1998 EO Black SVTC #3388
#1422869 10/28/05 01:16 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by PlatoSVT:
Eh, I dunno. As a Marine Officer Candidate, I'm not so sure. The book was mainly from a grunts perspective who didn't exactly enjoy his time in the Corps. Many of his stories in the book are urban myths among the Marines that he pooled together to form a first person perspective of them. So, I do think it will be a good, well acted, well performed movie, but I don't think it's going to be a positive outlook on the war or Marines. Somewhat similar to Blackhawk Down, in where it was a very well put together movie, but all in all, it's message about the war and adminstrative direction during the war was pretty depressing. But at the same time, it's uplifting to see that there are such brave men over there fighting every day. As the Delta said, "At the end of the day, you're just fighting for the man next to you."

Grunts are the ones who see the wars firsthand; I would always like to hear their opinions on these types of issues. I read about 1/2 the book on my way home from Djibout two years ago, then just forgot about it.

I disagree with your take on Blackahawk Down; there is very little political information on it, minus a line or two. And having read about every book out there on the subject its a somewhat inaccurate movie, but yes very well done.

Ryan Trollin!
#1422870 10/28/05 01:26 PM
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
but I don't think it's going to be a positive outlook on the war or Marines.

As in the current war? Isn't this movie set in the Gulf War?

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
#1422871 10/28/05 01:27 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by todras:

Yes it is. i.e. Operation Desert Shield/Storm

Ryan Trollin!
#1422872 10/28/05 01:28 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
Grunts are the ones who see the wars firsthand; I would always like to hear their opinions on these types of issues. I read about 1/2 the book on my way home from Djibout two years ago, then just forgot about it.

I disagree with your take on Blackahawk Down; there is very little political information on it, minus a line or two. And having read about every book out there on the subject its a somewhat inaccurate movie, but yes very well done.

Oh and I'm CERTAINLY not saying that I don't want to hear that perspective of the war. The grunts deserve every bit of respect that I or we can possibly give them, and their story definitely deserves to be heard. I'm simply saying that the movie might not be as positive as it seems in the previews, but it still looks to be a good movie.

I agree that Blackhawk Down doesn't intentionally poke at the political side of war. I guess I meant to say that when you stand back and look at the loss of soldiers in comparison to the mission objective, Blackhawk Down was a large failure, as I'm sure you know from reading about it. A failure in theory, but it was certainly not a failure in execution and bravery of the soldiers that were there. They exceeded many of their expectations in that situation and were a great example of just how incredible those men in our armed forces are.

BTW, have you read "Gift of Valor" by Michael M. Phillips? It's a great, accurate account of the 3rd CMOH recipient since the Vietnam War, Jason Dunham. The other 2 being the two snipers that voluntarily went into almost certain death, simply for the hope of giving another man hope, i.e. the snipers in BlackHawk Down.

Originally posted by todras:

Yep, I meant the war as in the scene of modern war. Not that it's going to be some political mumbo jumbo, just that it could have a somewhat negative outlook on how war is conducted in today's world. (Post WWII)

Last edited by PlatoSVT; 10/28/05 01:30 PM.

* Marine Officer Candidate * My Cardomain Page 1998 EO Black SVTC #3388
#1422873 10/28/05 01:38 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I have not read that book, but since its got Schugart and Gordon's stories in it, I'll pick it up. Thanks :-)

Ryan Trollin!
#1422874 10/28/05 01:44 PM
S
Captain Impound Boy
Captain Impound Boy
S
Bullet Catchers is what the movie should have been called

#1422875 10/28/05 01:47 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R